**Official Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. surferpoint9819

surferpoint9819 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I just registered in this forum, buy I've been following this thread for a couple of years. I too am an owner of a clevo w110er, since summer of 2012 (so, just over five years now).

It's been a good machine overall, although I've had the usual problems that are described in this thread: I had to repair the hinges with repair putty and by loosening them up a bit, because they were so hard they ended up breaking the plastic chasis. I had to replace the keyboard, because some keys became more and more unresponsive. I also had to replace the wifi/bluetooth adaptor, because the wifi stopped working. I ended up upgrading the ssd to 512GB and the RAM memory to 16GB, so to this day it is the computer I use 24/7.

However, for the last few days I've noticed a new problem. The USB 3.0 are malfunctioning. I think it's a hardware problem, because the computer makes the sound of hardware connecting and desconnecting every time I touch the computer. I get a "USB Devide not recognized" message every time this happens, and basically, because those USBs have stopped working.

Has anyone had a similar problem before with the USB 3.0 in this computer? Is there a relatively easy way to repair it?

Thank you so much in advance.

2. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, that's it, my W110er officially passed away.
    For the past few months I noticed it sometimes had trouble booting up: nothing would show up on the screen, but pressing the power button a few times would boot it up, sometimes removing the battery also did the trick.
    Well, today the led will flicker green two times and that's all.
    Could be a mother board failure...Or the button no longer working...Or the laptop stuck in hibernation mode, I don't know. I tried unplugging the battery, removing the ram, leaving it for a while with nothing else, it didn't change a thing.
    I think it's gone for good :( It's a shame, it was really working these past few days.

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tried clearing bios settings? (remove cmos battery as well as normal battery, press power button for 30sec)

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Also is it charging the battery while off?

5. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I don't know how to remove the cmos battery. It's under where the hard drive was located, so I can't get it out. I can see it, but there is little wiggle-room to remove it. Seems to me I would need to completely dismantle the laptop to have access to that part of the motherboard. Unless if I simply unplug the red and black cable from the cmos to the motherboard, would that do the trick?

If the laptop is plugged then yes, the battery will charge, however I hardly use it anymore on battery mode (it only last for 30 minutes that way).

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes unplugging the cable from the battery will do the trick.

7. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I tried but it doesn't seem possible to remove the cable from the cmos: it seems to glued to the motherboard, or simply too hard to remove and I don't want to break the cable.

EDIT: I left it at the store, the motherboard is dead. The technician found one online for $235: does any of you know if there is a cheaper one available somewhere? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. adiasa

adiasa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    yesterday I had the problem with my clevo. It tried to perform intel rapid start technology (irst) works, but my laptop doesnt start with power button, just LED blinked 2 times ( i think it indicates that laptop is in hibernation mode). And do like bennyg said, I unplugged the CMOS battery's socket, unplugged the battery, and push the power button for 30s and I works very well. Thank you for bennyg and prema also for the bios!! It has been 5 years using this laptop and never had problems. I do not really like from this laptop on touchpad and the casing material. But for performance, I am very satisfied!

bennyg likes this.
  9. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, I'll definitely have to try that !...Well, I'll have to check with the technician who has the laptop: I wasn't able to remove the CMOS battery myself :/
    Quick question: after pushing the power button for 30 seconds, did you replace both batteries before trying turning it on again? Or do you need to do something special such as "replace the CMOS one, not the normal battery, only the power cable, etc..."?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  10. adiasa

adiasa Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes. The motherboard should not be supplied by any power, it means from the battery and CMOS battery. To unplugged the CMOS battery, just unplug the socket with red and black wires between ram and harddisk by hand! I think it should work if your mobo just on bios problems.
    Yes I replaced CMOS and battery after. CMOS is not really necessary since CMOS battery is only for maintain the clock during no power supply.