**Official Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jcsdkx51

jcsdkx51 Newbie

Reputations:

Do you still have any CPU bottom covers? Part number 6-42-w1103-102 KYL

Or does anyone have a broken model that they don't mind parting out?

2. republicofsam

republicofsam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. hydra

hydra Breaks Laptops

Reputations:
    Still running great with SSD and W10 using as a HTPC.

Only one major problem; the hinges…

There are two plastic fluted posts on each bottom side case. Clevo totally dropped the ball on this model detail as a great number of like hinge problems found. Simply beefing up the bottom pillars would have done wonders for a zero problem notebook.

I found the $10 bottom case going for $50 but did not check for stock. I lucked out and found out that JB Weld, carefully placed around pillars, a lasting fix over last two months with no cracks or separation noted. The bottom case pillars started failing two years after my September 25, 2012 purchase date with major hinge creep last month.

Cheers
    IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0575.JPG

steberg likes this.
  4. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Add me to the list of people who ran into problems with the hinges: the left ones broke down, along with the top part of the laptop near those hinges. It's a miracle the screen still works, but it does.

It's really shame, because everything else on this laptop is really working fine: it could still function as a more than adequate working/office laptop for at the very least 5 years.

It is out of question I am tossing it away: what are my options to fix it or transform it into some sort of "mini desktop"? I am not tech savvy enough to do anything on my own, so I need help to fix it.
    I bought it to a UK reseller that ran out of business and now I'm in the US, in a small town with no good computer repair shops : should I contact sager in the US? Or another reseller and see what options they might have?
    I'm willing to pay some price to repay it. Worst case scenario, I'll just keep it as it is, and use it with an external mouse, keyboard and screen: it will still work as long as I don't move it around.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    How damaged is it? Do you have pictures?

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ruined an old Asus laptop when I accidentally drove over it, removed the broken lid and display, used the base as a htpc for 4 years.

So long as the cable and connector are fine the screen will display ok. The problem usually is when hinges get loose, the cables can move and get pinched during open/close movement which is what kills them super quick.

It was the wifi that got ruined in mine. So instead of a dodgy repair on the tiny coax cables or $60 for new (!) I bought a $2 pair of router-like antenna ports and fixed them in the side of the case and it now has way better reception too

[​IMG]

7. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope these are good enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't used this computer in months, so it's a bit dusty (which reminds me I totally forgot to buy a can of compressed air yesterday!): I'm gonna try to clean it up a bit, but I'm afraid to break it even more when handling it. I noticed the screen doesn't always turn on when I boot the computer, specially if I close the lid. This is the laptop I use at work, so I tend to carry it around.

Bennyg, that would be an option indeed. But I wouldn't mind being able to use it as a laptop for a few more years.

By the way, does anyone managed to get XTU working with it? The last time I tried it I was unable to undervolt the laptop, plus it seemed to me all the cores were running at max settings. The laptop gets a bit hot, so I was hopping to cool it down that way. If I need to update the bios to tweak the settings, then I'm not running any risks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can use throttlestop to change max turbo multiplier (or also check my 1070 sli thread for a way to use XTU command line for startup without needing to open the gui manually every. single. boot.) I have XTU installed with premamod bios, but there is nothing to change, I don't think you can undervolt ivy bridge on any E series clevos (I never could even with XM CPUs on P370EM and P170EM)

But the real issue is why it runs hot, because unless youre hammering it with heavy workloads regularly (rogue background app?), it shouldn't. Mine doesnt run that hot with basic old AS5, 80-85C upper limit on stress test. Maybe you have a 45W CPU (higher than 3630qm)? Maybe it needs a repaste, also get that air can (or better a real man tool air compressor) and blow away the dust bunnies on the fan and grille

9. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, maybe it had a heating issue since the beginning? I don't know...
    I have the 3610qm, and I think I kinda hammered it when gaming during the first year: I was using throttlestop to set the multipliers to the max when gaming (to have the turboboost activated), and I wasn't checking my temperatures at the time. I'm at approximately 7000 feet high, in a very dry place: all of my laptops run a bit hotter in here than when I'm visiting my family in France (it's a 10°C difference, approximately).
    One year after buying it, it started shutting down when gaming: a local shop did a repaste and pointed out the CPU showed signed of it having overheated (the die had some "stains" on it). After the repaste, I didn't have any other problems for the next 9 months or so, then I had to do a repaste myself.

I haven't gamed on it for years, so I haven't stress tested it. I did a clean install of windows yesterday, and I've been working on it for a couple of hours, and it's running around 73°C with peaks at 85°C. Yeah, time for a repaste, I know.

bennyg likes this.