*** Official Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Razyre

Razyre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm actually working on a project that could solve many of these woes... ;)

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    Roxxar, I am considering buying same notebook as you have. Please tell, does it overheat or throttle under heavy load, like video encoding for hours (or during prime95+furmark test), and how is your SSD temp in such conditions?

3. Roxxar

Roxxar Newbie

Reputations:
    I also encode a lot of video/play to video games and I don 't have any problem. I think the temperature really depend of your cpu but even with the I7 3940xm (which is the most powerfull and the one who become the most warm also) I don 't have any overheat or throttle. I also use one the best termical paste (Phobya HeGrease Extreme),I think it can make a difference too( like around 5 degree at least) and I always use a cooling pad too for intensive tasks (only for intensive tasks). When I don't use the cooling pad it become really hot next to the graphic card and cpu during intensive tasks or video games after a time (left side of the laptop) but the ssd stay relatively cool because he is located on the right part of the laptop. I really advice you to get a cooling pad for intensive tasks, mine is a notepal U1 modded with 3 fans 80mms, this one got the perfect size for this laptop. With it I never have any problems (I think cooling pad help a lot around 10 less degree if you got a good one). I have never check exactly the temperature of my ssd during tasks but it s really resonnable.

Current Notebook:
    EUROCOM MONSTER W110er/i7-3940XM/Phobya HeGrease Extreme/NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB DDR3/16GO DDR3 1866Mhz Kingston HyperX PnP/SSD Crucial M500 SATA III 960gb /Bigfoot Killer wireless-N 1202/150W PSU Fortron FSP-NB150/Windows 7 Pro-Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Roxxar, thanks for the answer, but I need to be sure whether HDD temps rise too high or not, since that is one of the main reasons for buying a new notebook, aside from performance. Hopefully someone will provide such information.

I will be using the notebook both with external monitor/peripherals/cooling pad, and on the go. I really like the ultracompact size of it. Overall, do you recommend it, or is it a better idea to go for something else, e.g. newer 13.3" Clevo? My tasks.

5. hydra

hydra Breaks Laptops

Reputations:
    ^^^ there are a few of these for sale on the forums with the 3610 which are user replaceable. Handbreak can re-encode my BD in about 2.5 hours depending on setting. The W110er does not break a sweat for encoding tasks nor does the HD spinner run very hot, 50C max with hard use. Using external drives will lower that. Adding a 3940XM and various drives would have you running HWiNFO64 to monitor your long term use.

You have to decide if the newer processors are worth the cost vs time encoding with program of choice? Got real world encode times?

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Reputations:
    hydra, thanks for the feedback.

I am thinking of buying a new one from Eurocom, with matte screen, i7-3630qm and localized keyboard, and upgrading it with 1tb sshd and another stick of ram on arrival, and 3940xm much later. Do they improve cooling somehow, by the way? They offer to put an i7 extreme cpu in nearly every notebook they sell...

Again, I really like the size of a thing, and can forgive it has only one hdd and no msata slots. Anyway, it's the best 12" I can get, right?

7. Nereus333

Nereus333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still the top 11.6" laptop on the planet, yup.

I have one for sale, but only shipping within US48.. sounds like you are in Europe somewhere. Awesome little laptop. I have a Clevo W230SS / Sager NP7338 now - it's a great laptop, but I still kind of miss using my NP6110 - the portability / performance ratio of the NP6110 is unbeatable.

hydra and Starlight5 like this.
  8. haigboardman

haigboardman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where are you located?

9. Nereus333

Nereus333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My NP6110 has sold - USPS are picking it up some time today. Such a little powerhouse. Sorry to see it go.

:cry:

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The NP7338 is such a good balance of power and size though...

Nereus333 likes this.