*** Official Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Studie

Studie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im just letting you know, I have two screens and they both dont work! I don't understand how people even got them working... Is my Sager flashed with the wrong region or display firmware?!

2. SInC

SInC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IIRC, you bought the LP116WH4(SL)(N1) right? It's the LP116WH4(SL)(N2) that people have working.

This sounds like what happened to me. Give it a couple of days, and hopefully they'll all disappear.

3. Nereus333

Nereus333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response Hanuman33. I ordered the screen and it arrived earlier this evening.

So I plugged in the new screen and tested it without mounting it, just to make sure it worked.. there was a small grouping of red dots that looked like a inverted letter 'C' near the bottom left of the screen.. was a bit bummed out, until I realized it was some markings on the thin plastic screen protector, not the display itself, lmao.. other than that, the display was absolutely pristine and such a huge improvement over the matte screen I installed months ago. I went ahead and mounted the screen with double-sided tape and assembled the bezel etc. and switched it back on.

Everything looked awesome.. at first. After maybe 5 minutes I noticed a couple of vertical lines showing up just faintly at random points and then disappearing again.. but they got worse.. and worse.. and worse. Now, after about 30 minutes running, there are dozens, if not over 100 vertical lines 1 pixel wide all across the screen, and they ain't going away. Damn.

I tried changing between battery and charger power - no difference.

I'll run it for a couple of days, but as it looks currently, it is not usable at all. To make matters worse, I used industrial strength double-sided tape to secure the screen after the initial test.. that's going to be a total b*tch to remove.

I still have the original glossy screen and the replacement matte screen to put back in there, if I don't kill the laptop getting the IPS screen out.. I'm just hoping it 'fixes itself' over the next couple of days, but it doesn't look good right now.

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers.

4. SInC

SInC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Nereus333, I had the same issue, but the lines did disappear after a couple of days and have not reappeared in the past month I've owned the panel.
    Hopefully they'll disappear for you too.

Your experience also sounds very similar to mine.... I also thought the red dots were a defect, haha. And the lines appearing/disappearing then reappearing in larger numbers is what happened to me too. They just eventually all faded.

5. Nereus333

Reputations:
    Sweet, hope that happens for me too. Wonder what causes it (and how it fixes itself)? Thanks SinC, I'll update in a few days.

6. macaco68

macaco68 Newbie

Reputations:
    Nereus333 - have the vertical lines disappeared already or can you at least see any progress? I'm planning on doing the same panel switch, but I'm a wuss and haven't ordered the panel yet because of these issues.

7. Nereus333

Reputations:
    I have had the laptop running via the main power supply unit for several days on and off, and disabled any sleep / power saving / screen saver during that time so that the display was active the entire time - total hours powered up probably in excess of 40 hours. I also installed updated NVidia drivers just as a precaution. Unfortunately there has been no significant change - the lines are still there.. maybe a couple have faded, but most have shown no change at all (and there's quite a lot of them). Regretfully I am going to have to remove the IPS screen. I'll check the connections in the process of removal of course, but I'm not very hopeful.

If you can afford to risk blowing around USD$100 then you may want to take that gamble, because when I first plugged it in and tested it, it looked awesome - huge improvement over the matte screen I was using, and of course it has worked for some... just not me. Flip a coin? Good luck if you go ahead - let us know what happens if you do.

Cheers.

8. macaco68

macaco68 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh dear.... that's a big dissapointment. I was really hopefull that the lines would have disappeared, at least partially. There is some interesting info on this here http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/01/16/lcd-lines-common-causes.aspx wich would explain why on some panels the lines disapeared after a while,

Oh well, I'm not much of a gambler, but I'm going to risk it anyway. It just seems to good a deal not to try at least and it has worked for some, so who knows. I'll post some info and pictures when it's done. Thanks for your input Nereus.333.

9. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Try to connect it without the extension cable jut for testing...maybe the cable is dodgy.

10. Razyre

Razyre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still need to send my panel back... XD

As for the GPU issues I was having, I fully updated all of my drivers and got the latest version of Throttlestop up and running. With that in swing, no more GPU issues ^^

Surprisingly, it doesn't look /too/ bad having 1366x768 blown up to 2560x1440 lol.