*** Official Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Razyre

Razyre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, the ebay seller won't ship to the UK so that's a bummer.

My main issue is here that I have to pay shipping.

I get nothing back on the screen and I'm going to have to pay £60 odd in shipping (which is an outragous price for something so small and light) and wait weeks for it to send and weeks for the new screen to come back :/

2. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unfortunately this did nothing. Any other ideas? It turned off today at 71C after running the sleeping dogs bench mark. It was only sitting on the results page!! I'm going to repaste but CPU and GPU temps look pretty reasonable.

3. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe try a different power adapter? Even one that is lower wattage such as a 65 watts.. It will throttle like crazy but at least you can narrow down the culprit.

4. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had/have the same issue. After I dropped the laptop the GPU stopped cooling properly. I repasted, which fixed the temp issue, however the laptop would still shut off within 10 minutes of GPU intensive games (Far Cry 3, .Creed 3, CIV5).

Here are several things I've noticed:

1) Turning off overclocking on GPU decreased instances of PC shutting off. However you are already on stock.
    2) Using DX9 instead of DX11 fixed the issue completely in CIV5
    3) Creed 3 would shut off at very particular moments in cutscenes. Interestingly enough those were not the most intensive moments, usually it would be inside interiors. Turning off OverClocking fixed this game permanently.
    4) Unplugging my laptop from a suspicious outlet I was using and plugging into a power strip "fixed" this issue with Far Cry 3 (runs fine on DX11 btw).

Now I'm all good, but can't really see the trend of what exactly caused shut offs in certain games. (Planetside 2 which is a hungry game never caused a problem).

Have you tried replicating the shut off issue while on battery?

If it doesn't happen on battery my suggestion would be to try plugging into a high quality Surge Protector/Pilot. If that doesn't help try a new Power Adapter, which should be at least 120W and try to get one with a 30day Return Guarantee, so in case it doesn't help you can return it for a refund.

Hope this helps somewhat.

[EDIT] halosurfer: I don't think trying a 65W would give a clear picture. GPU wouldn't engage fully so it might not get stressed to the point of shutting off. This is an uneducated presumption however.

5. hanuman33

hanuman33 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi just got my replacement LP116WH4(SL)(N2), worked fine for about five minutes then lots of vertical lines all acros the screen much the same as SInC, im hoping they fade like his did, im also getting a bit of ghosting from bright white backgrounds.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would make sure the cables are seated correctly.

7. hanuman33

hanuman33 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Meaker, thanks for the reply, Yep Ive had it in and out more times than I care to remember, it seems seated OK, as a bit of an update some lines are flickering in and out and other new ones appear. I was going to try an different extension cable but when I attach the screen to the original 40pin connector it still has 10-15 vertical lines of about 1px width all the way down the screen, Hanuman

8. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It happens on Battery as well as on the PSU. I have a coolmaster 120w so can't see that being the issue. I'm going to repaste when I get to hong kong and see if that makes a difference. Is there any way to lower the GPU voltage further than the UV Prema Bios?

9. Nereus333

Nereus333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello. I am looking for info on the IPS screen for my Sager NP6110. I originally received the laptop with the glossy screen and did not like - too reflective. I replaced that with the matte B116XW03 V.1 (link) which solved the reflection issue, but the viewing angles are the worst I have ever seen... easy enough to install though.

I am going back about 20 pages on this thread looking into the IPS option. I would like to confirm I am looking at the correct screen and also have some questions.

(1) Is the correct screen LP116WH4(SL)(N2), sourced from LaptopScreen.com (link)?

(2) There is mention that I will need an LVDS extension. Is the correct extension item ID# 735155 (link) at LaptopScreen.com? Not sure as there are no details - Is it 40 pin? Should it be left to right (which that one is)? Someone (Prema?) who has installed the screen would need to answer this. There's also one at Amazon (link).. is this better?

(3) Is this new IPS screen basically plug and play, or is there firmware / drivers / calibration required, and if so, can someone provide links/advice as to what would be required? My NP6110 is still running at stock - including the BIOS.

(4) I have not seen any images of the installation process. I am aware the mounting tabs on this IPS screen are incorrect for the NP6110 and I'll need to remove them and use thick double-sided tape instead, however should the tape be on the back of the screen and adhere it to the outside 'lid' of the laptop, or should the tape be on the front face of the IPS screen on the edges adhering it to the laptop bezel frame inside edges.. and if the latter, wouldn't that leave kind of an ugly gap between the IPS screen and the laptop bezel frame if using really thick double-sided tape as recommended? Would appreciate clarification on that from those who have installed this screen..

(5) Continued from #4, also what thickness/width double-sided tape required? Would something like this (link) do the trick (about 1mm thick apparently).. or should I be using some even thicker double-sided foam tape?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

10. hanuman33

hanuman33 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Nereus
    OK I'll have a pop at your questions:
    1: Yep that is the screen that most people have ordered from laptopscreens.com
    2:Ask the guys at laptopscreen.com to add the correct 40pin extension with the screen if/when you order it. I think you have provided the link to the right extension but as you say there arent any details about it.
    4:The sticky tapefoam is on the back of the screen and sticks it to the inside back of the laptop case, I used velcro in the absence of any thick double sided tape/foam, it seems to work OK.
    5:see above
    I hope this helps a bit, im sure that others will be able to help too. I have had a bit of a problem with my LP116WH4(SL)(N2) - it worked OK for a five minutes then vertical lines appeared accross the screen and dont seem to have faded as has happened to others on the forum. I'll update if they do disapear though,
    hanuman
    3: