Official Clevo PC70DP /DR /DS Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by zacwhite15, Mar 22, 2021.

1. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine is the same variant, 105 W with boost.

2. Tommy Dee

Tommy Dee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!
    So I guess I am now a proud owner too :)
    I bought a Captiva Highend Gaming I60-984 with a RTX 3080 MaxQ that is based on the PCX0DX barebone. I asked the manufacturer if the BIOS available at https://my.hidrive.com/share/yze8mg-wf8#$/BIOS and EC Firmware/CLEVO/P_Series/PCxxDxx is valid for this model, as well as Clevo directly, awaiting answer.

I am very tempted (not now, but maybe in a few years, after warranty is gone) to flash a higher TDP to the RTX 3080, as it is 95+10W Dynamic Boost. The temps are 60-75C on the GPU while TimeSpy 3DMark. I think the overclocking utility from Clevo for the GPU does not work, as the score is exactly the same even if I add +300 to the core clock. All games run fine, but I know I am leaving performance on the table due to restrictions of power. The i7-10750H of course runs hot, but a -120mv undervolt works fine, and it is the weak link of the laptop I guess, but I got it at a very good price and I am quite happy with it.

Will be tinkering with overclocking and such. I would also like to unlock the advanced BIOS settings but I do not want to mess anything, so I will not while I do not have more info about the BIOS.

I am glad to have found this community and if you have any tips to optimize performance in this model, I would welcome them! :)

Best,
    Tommy

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The overclocking will set but the power limit will be the over riding factor here, an undervolt using MSI afterburner (Ctrl + F for the frequency/voltage curve) would probably help.

Installed64 likes this.
  4. Tommy Dee

Tommy Dee Newbie

Reputations:
    Good idea, thanks! I will try it after I get back from work!
    I ran TimeSpy also yesterday directly in a external monitor and got slightly better minimum FPS and score, must be Optimus doing its thing hehe A pity it cannot be switched off from what I understand, I had an ASUS where it was possible but I do not know if it is hardwired to display in this model. Will do some more tweaking and share the results.
    Thank you all!

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Some old clevo models could do it too but it was not understood by most people and went unused a lot.

6. TSAGE85

TSAGE85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    Has anybody experience using double sided SSDs like the Corsair MP510 series in this model ? The 4TB model has a thickness of 3,5mm & corsair support confirmed that this series is intended for laptop use as well - but the question is whether it would fit in ?

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I would think so but you can always check by looking at the height of the support.

8. TSAGE85

TSAGE85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info! The thing is that I am about to become an owner of this model, I am not one yet :) And if I am not mistaken, the bios battery is located underneath the SSD slots, so the question is whether it works and does not cause any issues.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I would wait and double check when in your hands.

10. Tommy Dee

Tommy Dee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys.
    A question: any idea if Resizable BAR will be enabled for this kind of models? Is it up to Clevo or each reseller? (if it is supported in Intel HM470 chipset, I have seen some Gigabyte laptops with the same that support it, but not sure)

BTW, long story short, but I bricked the BIOS when I installed the BIOS from Clevo Center (the link I posted a while back, it is not oficially supported by Clevo.com.tw), it installed fine without any warnings but it sure is NOT compatible, I think it has to do with the iGPU/dGPU switch as the laptop was working but no display, and then stopped working all together. Captiva was kind enough to take care of warranty and I think they had to send it back to Taiwan for repair/BIOS reflash hehe Just to share the information :)

PD: the Aorus 15G is the same GPU, CPU, chipset and supposedly has resizable BAR.
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AORUS-15G--RTX-30-Series/sp#sp

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021