Official Clevo PC50DD2 / DF1 / DN2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by BrightSmith, May 1, 2020.

1. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I got my unit yesterday and I am still playing around with it (will post more when I got more impressions)

I insalled the XMG BIOS on it (their fan profile is pretty decent vs the stock clevo one)

I installed the latest drivers and stuff on it and have been playing around with intel XTU (currently unvolting by .075)

My question for you and everyone here, what power profile are you guys using in the control center?

I am currently on entertainment, but I guess performance runs the gpu at 90w vs 80w (it also makes the cpu run way hotter/faster too) on my unit when stress-testing I never go above 80 something C when using entertainment, but when using performance it goes near 99C...

BrightSmith likes this.
  2. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I limited my CPU to 35w also to help w temps. Performance is fine for games and runs much cooler. I see my CPU temps in the mid 70s w peaks in the low 80s. Frequency is about 3.7ghz. you've actually seen 5.1ghz on this CPU? What did you use to test it?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I first ran the laptop with CCC installing Cinebench alone boosted my clocks to 5Ghz and my temps soared to >90°C. Fans spinning up and down were horrible.

I'm not using CCC (Obsidian tools instead) nor XTU (throttlestop instead), but if you can manually set (1) clocks to something more stable and realistic; (2) PL1 to 45w, perhaps even disabling PL2, which should solve the CPU spikes in performance.

4. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Max frequency I saw was 4.7ghz at 104w, which was the short term turbo boost limit. I then drops to 55w. I disabled that short term boost since all it did was boost the chip right to 90C in like 2 seconds. Even with max fans prior to test it still pegs temps I wonder if I limited it to 90W if would have seen a higher sustained freq. Hmmm you gave me something to check. The only purpose I saw of that short term boost was for Intel to claim that up to 5.1ghz and a slightly higher benchmark number for CPU. Thermally it beats the hell out of the chip and under any sustained load it has no way to cool down. Did you run cinebench in single core or multi?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BrightSmith likes this.
  5. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    The score I posted a few pages pages ago is of R20, which is multicore. I reached 80°C max. I should redo the test with my higher undervolt.

Lzealot likes this.
  6. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    I did some more Cinebench R20 testing.

Cinebench R20
    - max fans
    -125mV CPU
    -100mV Cache

3,7Ghz (allcore)
    score 3356
    temps max 66°C

HWINFO shows that the CPU power throttles when going beyond 3,6Ghz.
    It reaches 67w after which it throttles back to 3Ghz.

Changing TPL1 from 45w to 52w
    Disabling TPL2
    Set Turbo Time Limit to 3670016

3,7Ghz (allcore)
    score 3729 (!!)
    temps max 71°C

Clocks remain the same (max. 3,6Ghz), regardless of Throttlestop's Turbo Ratio Limits
    Power reaches 67w (despite setting TPL1 to 52, so probably an EC thing) but no power throttling!

4Ghz (allcore)
    Clocks remain the same

gooface and sicily428 like this.
  7. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did some testing this morning, feel like I have it semi-dialed in right now and I am happy with the Entertainment Profile in CCC:

Entertainment mode in CCC:
    XMG Bios fan profile
    -.050mV CPU
    -.050mV Cache

Cinebench R20:
    max temp: 77C

CPU-Z Bench:
    Single-Thread: 565.5
    Multi-Thread: 4848.1
    Max Temp: 80C

AIDA64:
    Cache & Memory Benchmark

Max Temp: 77C

Performance mode in CCC:
    XMG Bios fan profile (AFAIK XMG only made a custom profile for Entertainment Mode)
    -.050mV CPU
    -.050mV Cache

Cinebench R20:
    max temp: 99C

CPU-Z Bench:
    Single-Thread: 568.5
    Multi-Thread: 5229.8
    Max Temp: 94C

AIDA64:
    Cache & Memory Benchmark

Max Temp: 77C

In Entertainment mode the fans are pretty quiet with the XMG fan profile and I am content with my results and temps. I tried undervolting more and it resulted in crashes while doing windows reinstalls and the like so I am settling on -.050v for now. I have been able to overclock the GPU a little (+100mhz on the GPU, +500Mhz on the VRAM) and I will post more results with that later.

For comparison numbers here are some results from my Desktop with an AMD 3700x:

Cinebench R20:

CPU-Z Bench:
    Single-Thread: 527.9
    Multi-Thread: 5595.8

AIDA64:
    Cache & Memory Benchmark

Now for some GPU Benchmarks: (all under Entertainment CCC mode)

TIME SPY

PORT ROYAL

FIRE STRIKE

HEAVEN

Overall I am pretty happy with this purchase, temps and performance seem to be great while using the gpu/cpu together in gaming benchmarks. (and loudness isn't crazy either)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    comait and BrightSmith like this.
  8. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    Thanks @gooface

Can you check your actual clocks in HWINFO? E.g. when running Cinebench.

9. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    First nasty BSOD.

First the screen freezes, cannot push any keyboard button, cannot power off the laptop. Then I get the BSOD "Driver Power State Failure". This could point to too much undervolting, or a problem with the sleep state. When the BSOD is finished the laptop doesn't restart, the screen remains black, the power button remains lit, but I can't restart / power off the laptop. I don't want to get the battery out while it's running, so I'll have to wait until it shuts down because of low battery...

10. Luca Brunetti

Luca Brunetti Newbie

Reputations:
    Done some tests also with my sample. In perf mode 99°c reached and 20% Thermal throttling.
    But i can't undervolt with throttlestop. How can i do? I have to switch to XMG Bios and play with throttlestop or i have to do in the XMG bios directly?