Official Clevo PC50DD2 / DF1 / DN2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by BrightSmith, May 1, 2020.

1. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You got yours? If you did post some pics and impressions! :D (I gotta wait till the 30th till I get mine)

2. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha no, I have the np378f2 which is the 2070 super version of this laptop I think. The pc70dn2 might be the best to compare with as that's the 17" buy I can't find a forum for that one yet. I'm curious to see how they compare 2070 super 115W vs the 2080 max-q

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  3. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gotcha!

First impressions
    • Very sleek, professional look. I can definitely use this for work and play.
    • There's some flex (screen), but nothing out of the ordinary.
    • Fingerprint and dust magnet
    • As expected Clevo fan controls are horrible so I've installed Obsidian's, works great now.
    • On normal fans temps spike quickly, e.g. when installing 3DMark I hit 90°C... Because they are temperature spikes rather than sustained heat (probably aiming for that 5Ghz), fans quickly spin up and down. Undervolting and probably a repaste will be in order. In any case you should have Throttlestop profiles for performance and light loads. For example, for office work I run a stable all core clock of 3.5ghz and temps don't increase above 50°C.
    • A bit disappointed with the battery. With turbo boost disabled, screen brightness dimmed, battery saving mode enabled etc. it seems to only last for 4 hours (Word + wifi). I'd hoped for at least 6h of autonomy. Maybe there's still ways to optimize.
    First benchmarks
    I've applied a mild -50mV undervolt.
    • Cinebench R20 on max fans: 3016, which could be 400pts better. Only reached 80°C max, which is nice.
    • Firestrike on max fans: 14806, 15943 graphics, 20064 physics, 7682 combined. Normal scores for the RTX 2060. CPU peaked at 90°C during the physics test, GPU remained below 70°C

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    gooface likes this.
  4. gooface

Reputations:
    Honestly all things considered this is better temps compared to thar asus G14 I had that peaked at 100c or so while loading a map on the RTX mincraft demo worlds.

Are you on stock paste or factory upgraded paste?

I'm half tempted to flash that XMG bios with their custom fan curve and see how that compares to the stock bios without having to set one myself. Keep us posted if you can :D I'll be joining you in a few days with my 2080 super model (which I hope doesn't run way hotter)

About to hit the bed (west coast of the US) I might have more questions later for you.

Btw did you try to lower the hz of the screen to see of that helps with the battery life or not?(not sure if it does but I know it did on the G14)

Thanks

5. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    It's repasted by the reseller with Kryonaut.

Before opening her up I'll first try and undervolt the CPU a bit more. I'm increasing it by -25mV each day until a BSOD or freeze comes up.

With max fans this CPU can be tamed, somewhat, for maximum performance, but you'll need headphones.

I find changing the refresh rate a bit cumbersome, also I enjoy working with a high refresh rate screen, I guess I'm spoiled :D

6. Lzealot

Reputations:
    I'm running a stable -100 millivolt undervolt on the CPU. It did help tame the beast a little bit. I'm going to have to try out obsidian too. Im not big fan of clevos. They seem to lag behind the action a bit.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BrightSmith likes this.
  7. gooface

Reputations:
    Any updated impressions?

8. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    I'm busy grading papers atm so I don't have much time for benching. In general I'm very pleased with how thin and nice this laptop is. A completely different beast than my p775TM for sure.

The keyboard types well, with sufficient feedback. I'm very glad that there's a numpad.

The battery behaves strange, sometimes it seems I have 6h of autonomy (yay!) and sometimes only 3h, but I think it's Window's reading of remaining battery life rather than the battery itself. I'll have to test it with a video in loop I suppose. Maybe also recalibrate the battery.

The screen quality is the same as my p775tm, i.e. (very) good.

The sound quality is sufficient for watching a movie, of course lacking in bass and volume, but that is to be expected.

I haven't tested the webcam yet, but I have a few online meetings next week so I'll get back on that. I guess there won't be any surprises there.

With Throttlestop + Obsidian fan control it is possible to have completely silent fans for light workloads (internet, Word, movie).

The bios I have is unfortunately very basic. There is no undervolting control, I can't even disable HT. If you want to play around you'll need an unlocked bios (maybe the Sager or XMG one).

gooface, sicily428 and Hunkitunk like this.
  9. Lzealot

Reputations:
    Sager's bios is not unlocked for overclocking or undervolting except for the memory. Intel XTU or Throttlestop works though. Obsidian help out at all on controlling cpu temps? I'm looking to get my cpu to be happy in the 75C range, right now I can't get it below 82-84C.

BrightSmith likes this.
  10. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    75C under stress will be difficult, unless perhaps by using LM

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020