*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would shut it down when not in use. Most OSs do not do well with being up 24/7.

2. notion91

notion91 Newbie

Reputations:
    Did the high pitch whistle noise ever go away for any of you?
    It's driving me crazy honestly. I'm just praying dust build up fixes the issue.
    Also considering finding a replacement bottom panel to see if I can modify it or something but I'm not sure that's where the problem lies. Having trouble even finding somewhere that sells spare parts for the PB71DF2-G.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Is it more of coil whine?

4. notion91

notion91 Newbie

Reputations:
    No it directly correlates with the fan speed. There is the normal whooshing of the fans and alongside it is this high pitch whistling which is very distracting and annoying. It gets worse as fan speed increases so the closest I can get to deal with the problem is a custom fan curve, undervolt and turbo limits.
    I also have very noticeable sizzling coil whine which seems GPU related as well as an intermittent buzzing when using the touchpad. But these two sounds don't bother me really.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Ah, that would need a new fan module to sort probably given how new it is.

6. notion91

notion91 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I doubt a new fan module is the solution. I've read a quite a few complaints about this noise and it appears to be an issue with airflow/fan design of this particular chassis. I don't think it is something that can be fixed by replacing parts.

Even XMG's promotional material for the 2020 refresh of this chassis claims: "Thermal innovations in the XMG PRO 17 include an improved cooling system, which improves the acoustic profile of the fans at the same speed (less high-frequency noise)"

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Usually that's more on fan sizing and looking at the frequency of the fan itself.