*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Build quality is pretty good imo. I got the 15" and it's pretty sturdy. Screen hinges are firm. Only gripe with the design is the power port in the back makes it somewhat tricky to pick up and set down with one hand, but that's obviously pretty minor.

I'd stay away from the Strix III unless it has G-Sync. The RTX chips have a pretty big performance hit with Optimus, to the point where the 2070 doesn't even do much better than the 1070 in most games. This is just based on results from earlier this year, so it's possible they've improved it. I'd still go with a G-Sync or switchable system though, and you can't do much better for the money than these.

2. scooptroop

scooptroop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You like the screen and thermals? That's pretty much all thats keeping me from pulling the trigger on this

3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the PB51EF, so it has the 15" 144hz panel. This one is pretty good. Very little light bleed, good viewing angle. No complaints on mine, but I can't speak for the 240hz panel. I'd assume it's at least fairly close though.

Thermals are pretty good. Here's a graph I posted a few months ago in the PB51 thread.
    [​IMG]

4. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was in the same boat. I wanted the GE75 for pure power but I ended up getting the P960RN when it was on sale as a happy compromise. Needed to repaste myself to get great thermals / performance. Stock paste isn’t good. Very light metal build with a nice bright 16.1” display. Easy to service and upgrade. It’s an awesome in between against a GS65 - GS75 with full sized keyboard and proper off center glass trackpad. No thunderbolt support but easy to hook up to an Oculus Rift-S on the go! Running latest windows 10 build and NVidia drivers and stable.

If you can afford a GE75 the RTX 2080 model has the bigger battery than it’s 2070 version. Firmware is unlockable by hotkey on all models too. It’s a beast. No thunderbolt either but plenty of USB ports.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a thinner plastic chassis though so you wonder about hinge and general chassis life along with thermal flex.

6. scooptroop

Reputations:
    yeah for me right now it is coming down to a $2399 GE75 rtx 2080 bought in the store or the clevo PB71 rtx 2070 with gysnc totally decked out the way I want it with paste, pads etc for around $2150 from one of the resellers

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The full power 2070 does pretty well against a lot of 2080 max-q machines.

8. scooptroop

Reputations:
    Any more owners of the PB71 RF-G out there? According to a comprehensive video I saw online, gsync is really quite helpful but without knowing much about the thermals on this computer it is pretty hard to pull the trigger. Really wish there was more information out there about the PB71

9. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wa also looking to buy that one, but with lack of good reviews and the faxt that the seller didn't sell a single piece pushed me towards TongFang.
    Lacking support of G-sync but uptill now it runs everything fluently.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck have a pretty comprehensive review.