*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I like them very much but I can't link back to our website under forum rules. Our download section has both clevo and sager designations.

2. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I go to your site under support the only options are: Technical Support, RMA request, Service Authorization, and Warranty.
    None of this links have access to the Laptop model files :(

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please use the desktop page.

4. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there any way to have the fans NOT ramp up like that whenever there is some work going on ?

I don't mind waiting a bit longer. I have tried undervolting in the bios to -100mv on all provessor and memmory... to no avail.

best

5. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thank you for the reply... can you post your fan profiles and the version of the clevo app please ?

Do you think this profile will lead to constant and regular fan ramp up ? How can i improve the cooling of this unit ?

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am on the latest version provided by the Microsoft Store. 1.24 I believe.
    fans.png

That's my current fan profile. It is pretty aggressive and the fans will ramp up to near full speed under a heavy load. Combined with an undervolted MSi Afterburner curve this usually has my GPU in the low 70C's after several hours gaming. The exact undervolt is in my signature for my specific RTX 2070.

7. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to get the Package CState to go below C0 on the pb7x series?

I have a pb50 and I see the cores reaching C9 when idle (in powersaving mode), but the package does not go lower than C0, and power consumption while fully idle doesn't drop below 10W, which is high, considering I also currently only have 1 stick of RAM installed and the display backlight is set to the minimum level.

It should be 6-8W, if not less.

If I let the display timer expire, the display turns off and after a few seconds of high power usage, power draw drops to 6W.

This is interesting because it is unlikely to only be because of the display backlight.
    Indeed, manually turning backlight off in Linux only decreases power draw by 0.8W (compared to min brightness setting).

So I suspect the 10->6W drop a few secs after the display turns off in Windows is due to some other HW component entering sleep state when the screen turns off.

The Intel GPU is only taking <0.2W on idle, according to HWInfo, so that shouldn't be it.
    4W is a relatively big amount of power when idle... I wonder where the culprit might be.

I tried disabling all the unused HW and ports (webcam, bt, TB3, fingerprint reader...) in Windows device manager, but that didn't help (disabling the device doesn't necessarily imply turning it off, unfortunately).

In Linux idle power draw is 13W in idle (mon brightness) , 12W with screen backlight off.

The GPU is off (else idle consumption would be 30+W)

Does anyone have any idea what the culprit for high idle power usage might be?

As a comparison:
    Alienware m15 (8750h, 2060, 2x4gb ram, 144hz display) draws 7W iirc.
    Lenovo p1 (8750h, p1000, 2x8gb ram) draws 5W.
    Dell Precision 7530 (8750h, p2000, 2x16gb ram) draws 9W (we can assume 8W or less with only 1 stick of ram)

8. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a way to undervolt the RTX2070? Tried Afterburner even enabling the extended MSI config but dont get any control over the Voltage slider. Control Center only allows OC Mem and GPU...

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You have to use the voltage/frequency curve editor (Ctrl+F).

10. SlashNLennon

SlashNLennon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys im using control center 3.0 as seen in the screenshot. This just happened lately. I cannot seem to run the CCC when i press the fn+esc key. even if i click on run the CCC in the lower right screen of the laptop i cant seem to run the CCC. do you have a fix for these? whenever im trying to run it the arrow pointer just loads for a while and nothing happens. HELP!

upload_2019-10-5_6-46-47.png

Attached Files: