*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The kind of tool would be a dremel and if you are applying enough pressure to vibrate the unit then you have other things to worry about.

2. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Now you gave me one more thing to worry about xD. Thanks!

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It needs a careful hand basically. The metal dust is the biggest concern.

Samchanchan11 likes this.
  4. Muuke

Muuke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @XMG @Meaker@Sager

Hello, I've contacted 2 sellers and asked about the cooling solution, they both confirmed that the RTX 2070 Version has a better cooling solution than the RTX 2060.

(Seemingly for both PB5X and PB7X) However, I've gone through both owners lounge threads, can't find any pictures posted to confirm or deny this.

Do you have pictures or can elaborate?

Here's the PB5X picture by Eurocom: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Eurocom/Nightsky_Ti15/m460_11.jpg
    and the PB7X picture by Eurcom: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Eurocom/Nightsky_RX17/rx17_euro.png

These pictures also do not say if It's the RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 cooling solution. Do not know the differences.

Also an additional question about cooling:

It would seem like the PB5X has better CPU cooling? Dual heatpipes directly to both fans, whereas the PB7X has better GPU cooling?

Basically want to buy the laptop with the best cooling. It'll be used for work related tasks. (AI Visualisation, Hyper-V, etc). CPU Will be pinned at 100% while GPU will sit at 30-40% (So no need for RTX 2070 actually, but if the cooling solution is better and can help with CPU clocks that's a bonus.)

Any guidance would be very helpful, thanks! :)

5. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can confirm the intel about the better cooling solution on the RTX 2070 models (information by Schenker/XMG).
    Also, the 2nd picture (of the PB7X) shows the RTX 2070 cooling solution, atleast it looks like the one that I opened.

I'm interested too in the question if the smaller 15" PB5X model actually has the better cooling.
    Looks like the smaller PB5X one has more heatpipes but the PB7X one has more stuff like "thermal-pads" around the pipes. Don't know if thats only for the 2070 and what would be better, though.

Before seeing the comparison I actually thought the bigger 17" PB7X would definitely have the better cooling no matter what...
    because more free space = better air flow and cooling, right? :) Now I'm not sure anymore.

Edit: talking about better cooling: If you just had one NVME SSD drive, would it have any impact on cooling to actually put it in the 2nd slot (= far away from a potentially hot battery) rather than slot 1 near the battery?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. Muuke

Reputations:
    Glad someone agrees with me!

I wish the PB71 was the same cooling as the PB51 but just larger with larger fans and heatsinks :(

I'd love a 2060 vs 2070 comparision photo for both PB51 and PB71, but seems unlikely. If anyone has a RTX 2060 model please post a photo in here!

7. Muuke

Reputations:
    @lappyluke Btw, can you recall if there was an extra heatpipe in the bottom right corner?

I've seen 2 photos. This one is a 2070: http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/img_0572-jpg.175491/

Now let's compare to the picture I previously linked, this one has no config posted. So could be either one.: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Eurocom/Nightsky_RX17/rx17_euro.png

As you can tell there is an extra heatpipe leading from the CPU to the right. I wonder if this could be the RTX 2060 vs 2070 difference or if this is something special to the Powerspec 1720 that the first picture is from.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That could be an older model picture they used.

9. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There you go, I made some pictures when tearing it down ;)

Mainboard Overview:
    20190822_170333.jpg
    So yeah, theres was actually a third copper pipe on the CPU.

Btw., have a look at the copper cooling system:
    20190822_172023_LI.jpg
    Is it normal that there are black areas? ("gunshot residue", signs/traces from heat)

Removing the cooling system to check on the thermal paste was not possible because of the screws being... screwed lol.
    20190822_172939.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Looks like smudges from the coating process of the fins.