*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For a laptop, I'd consider that normal. You may achieve a closer temperature delta between cores with fresh paste, but I think you will see the values slowly grow apart as the paste 'settles' and time passes. I've experienced the exact same temperatures between cores, at most around 10C difference on stock paste. Idling 30-40C is great, and never seeing 90C is great; I doubt a repaste would improve much there. Unless you go extreme liquid metal or something...

Samchanchan11 likes this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Remember two cores are also sandwiched between the others so I would not expect them all to be the same.

3. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ty, appreciated the input. Yeah I think I'm just going to let it be then. I don't really like repasting new laptop anyway lol, mostly because of the thermal pads. Sometimes they'll just peel off, or dirt or lint would get stuck on them when I'm trying to repaste, gahhh xD

4. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Truely the saddest times when this happens

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Cover the heatsink with a sheet when working.

6. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone noticed inverse ghosting (coronas) or overdrive overshoot artifacts on Clevo PB71RF-G or similar models fitted with the AUO B173HAN04.0 (AUO409D) display.
    http://m.panelook.com/B173HAN04.0_AUO_17.3_LCM_parameter_37192.html
    https://laptopmedia.com/screen/auo-b173han04-0-auo409d/

To test the display for inverse ghosting (coronas) or overdrive overshoot artifacts start by playing a familiar game at 140 FPS limit with G-Sync enabled. Then locked at 60 FPS with G-Sync, then locked at 36 FPS with G-Sync (36 hertz is minimum G-Sync range for 144hz screens).
    Then do the same with G-Sync off.

Overdrive Coronas (dark contour trails) tend to become evident at 60 FPS locked games (Dark souls/Sekiro series, Nioh, Elder Scrolls series) and extremely visible around 30 FPS (L.A Noire, console emulators).

[​IMG]
    Credits: AcidArrow
    [​IMG]
    Credits: AcidArrow

[​IMG]

This Linus Tech Tips video explains the inverse ghosting issue quite well so you know what to look for (watch until 4 minutes).

Sources on affected AUO B173HAN04.0 panel with pictures for reference, mostly ASUS RoG GX701 and MSI GE75 Raider/Stealth laptops. I'm guessing it's an MSI and Asus BIOS issue enforcing fastest/extreme panel overdrive setting just to reach the marketing 3ms response time, and users can't toggle it off...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I'm surprised the overdrive is not adaptive as well.

8. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess it depends on BIOS implementation, the consumer is at the mercy of the manufacturer, Clevo's BIOSes might better handle the display overdrive compared to ASUS or MSI.
    Does the ClevoCenter 3.0 have display panel overdrive settings?

Crazy to think there might be a lot of RMAs due to inverse ghosting when a simple settings panel would do either at the BIOS level or OEM control center software, just like the OSD overdrive settings for desktop monitors.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No display/graphical setting in CCC 3.0 v1.24 as far as I'm aware.

On the PB70EF-G with AUO B173HAN04.0 (AUO409D) I have not noticed this issue. Maybe I am just getting old?
    I game with G-Sync on, 1080P or higher resolution, no frame limiting. If I enable frame limiting to 144Hz on modern games, no issues. I have over 100 hours in Skyrim, on this one play-through alone, and I never noticed any kind of ghosting while playing (60FPS limit game). I don't play many older games or console emulators so perhaps this is just an issue I am not running into with more current gaming?

Frencho likes this.
  10. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I just opened up my laptop for the first time (no thanks to the 18th screw underneath the keyboard, I hate you mystery screw but a big thanks for all the helpful comments from here that led me to the all powerful paper clip that dethrone the ghost screw and its keyboard accomplice) to install dual-channel ram and I thought while I was there going to repaste the CPU/GPU as well. Alas, a new foe appeared. 3 of the 6 heatsink screws can't be taken off. #3, #5, and #6. Number 5 and 6 is screwed on way too tight and it's been somewhat stripped so I can barely get a grip on the screw. I'm going to try again later after I'm researching ways to get a stripped screws off, with better tools maybe. #3 though is much worse. It's also been put screwed too tight, but the stripping is much worse. It has almost no grip, so loose. I tried every size screwdriver head that I can find, none works. I don't understand how resellers that does this kind of stuff days in days out could mess up and strip a new screw this badly. I'm thinking of contacting them and ask them to send me a new heatsink free of charge, do you think they'll do it? I mean if I can't get the heatsink off, that's pretty much a dead laptop right there, as I can do zero maintenance on it and even if I can manage to take the screws off, putting it back on/off for future pastings are just going to kill it very fast. It really shouldn't have been sent to a customer in this condition. Anyway, any tips anyone can give me on taking off stripped screws is much appreciated. I'll be searching for answers online too, but people in this forum are very experienced so I'm sure they'll have the best ways on things like these. Thank you