*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. alyandon

alyandon Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll contact MicroCenter directly. The battery is external/removable and secured with two screws.

Picture: https://imgur.com/ZL7oOX6

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. GGTK

GGTK Newbie

Reputations:
    This is why we need standardized sizes. Let us know what they quote you for that, I've seen many different prices in different places. Does anyone know if keeping a spare is a good idea or if it will degrade or something?

3. alyandon

alyandon Newbie

Reputations:
    Assuming MicroCenter sells the things at all I'll post a price after I talk to their service department.

Generally speaking - lithium ion polymer batteries will lose a bit of capacity as they age based on storage temperature and charge level. I'm more concerned about having a replacement handy if a cell should fail rather than worrying about the absolute capacity. If it came down to it, I'm handy enough with a dremel tool to cut the plastic case open and manually replace the cells myself - would just rather not have to. :-D

4. alyandon

alyandon Newbie

Reputations:
    ... and looks like I'm going to be returning this thing. :(

It has restarted on me several times overnight and I initially thought it was just rebooting due to windows updates. Turns out it was actually BSOD/rebooting at idle due to TDR timeouts and this is at stock speeds/voltages. I'm going to give MicroCenter the opportunity to exchange for another new one but I'm not going to accept anything less than 100% stability at stock speeds/voltages. If that fails me - are there any recommended similar spec models (8750H/2070N) I should be looking at?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah, it should not be anything but stable at stock.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You have not tuned with ThrottleStop or Clevo Control Center to affect the video card right? I'd also be unhappy if its rebooting without notice. I've had my fair share of instability and reboots but it's all a result of overclocking/undervolting and user settings. Micro Center is usually very good with returns and exchanges, I wish you luck!

7. alyandon

alyandon Newbie

Reputations:
    GPU boost settings are 0/0 and CPU is set to "performance mode" in control center.

I had initially fiddled with undervolting the CPU a bit using TS just to get an idea of how the utility worked and how it impacted clock rates under load but I hadn't actually bothered to persist the offsets to a profile. Once I realized I was dealing with actual BSOD events I double-checked to ensure there wasn't any possibility TS was loading offset on CPU/cache/etc. I also notice that the Intel wifi adapter seems to be periodically resetting itself which is problematic as well.

I really do like the form factor and performance of the 1720 - I'm really hoping I just have a flaky unit and that a replacement will solve these issues.

Edit: 4 BSOD while idle so far in 12 days of ownership and all TDR timeouts. Plus I also see event log entries indicating the trackpad hardware is also resetting itself. If I had any lingering doubt about this thing being defective it is gone.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. alyandon

alyandon Newbie

Reputations:
    Micro Center (to their credit) happily took the first laptop back and gave me a brand new replacement. I get the replacement home and get it set up and this one has square wave distortion coming out of the built-in speakers. I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers with no change in behavior. :-/

So I guess I'll be returning this one too in the morning. Not sure at this point if I'm going to ask for a 3rd replacement or a refund. Am I really just unlucky here or should I be looking at other brands?

Edit: Service manager at the store did not want to accept the return saying he couldn't hear the distortion I was complaining about. I had to argue with him and use a spectrum analyzer on my phone while playing a frequency sweep video on youtube to demonstrate the distortion coming from the speakers. He then basically said "I'm not a music major so I don't know what you are showing me" and I said that's fine lets play the video on another laptop and I'll show you the difference to which he replied "different laptop brands have different sound characteristics". He only relented when I pointed out that the first laptop didn't have this problem. Let's just hope this 3rd one actually works as designed.

Edit2: And this one blue screened while idle last night. I guess there is something systemic with these laptops so I'm going to return for a refund.

Edit3: Customer service was sympathetic and issued me a refund without any hassle. So 2 out of 3 of my customer service experiences with Micro Center were pleasant.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM
  9. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Frustrated by how loud this thing's reported to be by notebookcheck.
    Wish they'd tested it in entertainment mode with an undervolt for comparison.

People who want an RTX, thin bezel G-Sync machine are pretty much restricted to this, the Area 51m and the Zephyrus GX701.
    The PB71 seems like the best compromise when it comes to size.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A reviewer like that is never going to tweak voltages.

4W4K3 likes this.