*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anyone outline the power draw in Quiet and Entertainment modes?

The notebookcheck review on this thing has really put me off. 53.2 dB for The Witcher 3? Christ.

Was hoping the fatter chassis would make an actual difference to fan noise. Instead it's louder than a GX701.

Honestly, very disappointed. I know a lot of people don't care about fan noise but I most certainly do.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No idea what dB level they hit as I don't own a dB reader or know anyone who does. It is much quieter than the Aorus 15 X9, by comparison.

I believe the thicker chassis is intended for improved airflow, not decreased noise. While low noise may be a priority in a thin and light notebook, or a Max-Q equipped model, or a productivity oriented laptop; the PB7XEx-G is none of those things. It's a thicker, Max-P equipped gaming laptop. Low noise level is not an advertised feature and shouldn't be expected over performance.

All that said, there are 3 fan modes; Auto, Max, and Custom. You can also set a fan speed % offset (0%-80%). So there is a decent amount of fan control compared to other models.

vegetaeater likes this.
  3. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be fair, I think the Aorus 15 X9 is the loudest laptop from the RTX generation. Correct me if you can think of one louder?

See, I'm coming from a MSI GT62VR with a i7-6700HQ and full 1070. This thing is absolutely whisper quiet and still pulls 18500 graphics score on Firestrike.

I'm just super surprised at how loud machines are this gen. I'd like to upgrade to 17" 144hz IPS display (ideally with G-sync) which is why I'm wondering what Entertainment and Quiet mode sound like on the Clevo (with some game fps figures). I'm fairly sure it's the CPU's causing all these problems.

4W4K3 likes this.
  4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    The Aorus shocked me. I thought it was going to fly off like a jet. Out of the box the 8750H needs max fan under any workload and easily hits 90C+. That honestly just seems to be the standard unless you pay a premium for a model that comes with "premium" thermal paste/LM. The generic paste is just not up to the job if you need to maintain boost and stress the GPU simultaneously.

However, the common fix of repaste, undervolt, and tweaking power scheme/fan profile should land you in the volume level you want. At least, I think so. I know what you mean about this generation being louder, I think I've just gotten older (more deaf haha) and found workarounds like the headphones. Definitely not an excuse, as sometimes you can't use headphones and you want to enjoy the speakers which are good.

If you can accept a loss in frames/performance by limiting the turbo boost and running close to 3.0GHz all core I think you can get the laptop to still utilize the full 2070 without having to run maximum fans.

vegetaeater likes this.
  5. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    New score, utilizing a feature I had forgotten about that's so obvious I'm reluctant to post it. If you're familiar at all with the Task Manager...you can gain some points by being really detail oriented. Hopefully that is enough of a clue!

3122cb.png

6. Horf

Horf Newbie

Reputations:
    I had some earlier postings regarding the high CPU temperatures I experienced with my PB71EF-G and wanted to report back with some results after repasting. All readings are in Performance Mode, using a cooling pad, and fan speeds on max. I primarily played 20-30 minutes of Far Cry 5 to test as that seems to be the most demanding CPU game I have.

Out of the box my CPU core temps were between 97-100. Even with a modest undervolt I was still hitting 100 degree max. Performance was surprisingly good despite the temps, but I was concerned about longevity of my system.

I finally broke down and did a repaste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and without any undervolting am now seeing a peak of 91 on the CPU. Still pretty hot but I will happily take the 9 degree reduction, and I'm sure some undervolting will help push it down further.

Primarily I wanted to report back that 100 degree temps are NOT normal and should not be accepted. (Maybe that should be obvious, but it took a lot of self-convincing for me to mess with an expensive laptop--so maybe this will help expel doubt for others...)

Some other thoughts and notes to any fellow low-level enthusiasts/quasi-newbies:
    -When running demanding games I always enable max fan speed (hold Fn and hit 1). Sure its loud but wear headphones. And you don't need to fiddle with fan speed profiles
    -If I did it all again, I would not have paid for a reseller repaste. I would see how the stock thermals are then repaste myself if needed. I imagine the poor thermals were more so the paste job and not the paste used.
    -The GPU never ran above low 70's before or after.
    -The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility has a monitor tool that will plot core temp, frequency, and CPU usage for up to an hour. This is much more insightful than CPUID HWMonitor's max readings (although I used that too). This helped me see that the high temps were more than just random spikes.

One final question/thought: The spring-equipped screws that bolt down the heat sinks don't seem to press down all that tight. I wonder if there's a better substitute to achieve better contact and performance?

7. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I've thought this too especially when considering a proper LM application. Did you use thermal tape or something else for insulation around the processor dies? I'm extremely reluctant to LM a direct die setup like many BGA-laptops are. And quite honestly, my peak temps after gaming on Noctua NT-H1 (regular paste) are 84-85C. Same game even (FC5: New Dawn), playing 2-3 hours. I really thing because of the weak contact of the heatsink, and the inability to increase it due to space restrictions, a thermal paste will usually perform the same if not better than LM.

8. Horf

Horf Newbie

Reputations:
    No, I'm pretty amateur so was mostly content trying to do a decent paste job. I too considered LM for a while, but I was already terrified of damaging my laptop, and also read threads about LM needing to be replaced periodically, causing pitting, etc... maybe that's overblown but it was enough for me to stay away.

4W4K3 likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes if you know how to read it a graph over time is much more insightful.

10. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anybody had any issues with headphones not being detected when they are plugged in? I haven't used headphones much yet, but IIRC, it worked the first time for me (audio switched from speakers to headphones), but since then, the audio does not switch to the headphones without going into the Realtek Audio console and switching the "Connector Retasking" from headset to headphones, or vice versa. It doesn't matter which, it just needs to be switched, and then audio starts coming from the headphones.

Windows doen't show a separate audio output for the headphones, it remains as "Speakers (2- Realtek(R) Audio)"