*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Keyboard backlight options are in the clevo control centre.

2. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    VERY BAD idea.
    Communication to the Keyboard LED is usually done using an WMI - ACPI driver, this will raise your overall DPC latency everytime a signal is sent. Having something continuously reacting to sound is going to make your unit lag like crazy.

3. SlashNLennon

SlashNLennon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I see.. i just though if there is some settings like these since alienware and msi have this option in their keyboard lighting effects.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    We do try and keep bloat down so with all the apps installed you are getting clean performance in professional and gaming apps.

5. SlashNLennon

SlashNLennon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I see. Thats completely understandable. And i can say that sager laptops have few to none bloatwares. I was just curious since it would be nice if we have that option in the keyboard lighting effect specially if were just watching movies or just playing music in the device. :)

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Movies? That seems distracting.

7. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Few Questions regarding the the 17.3" Clevo PB71RF-G, I apologize if already answered but did not feel like reading the whole thread.
    1. It's packing a 115 watt RTX 2070 right?
    2. Which 1080p 144Hz panel is it? I'm guessing the 300ish nits, 100%ish sRGB AUO one with 7 ms average response time (that ASUS, MSI advertise as 3 ms for their products for some reason) or an LG, Sharp one ?
    3. Is G-Sync (hopefully) always on? (Hopefully) No Nvidia Optimus.
    4. If none of the above is right and it has both, I guess it would have a MUX switch right?
    5. What are the specs of the webcam, is it Windows Hello compliant?
    6. Does the touchpad use Windows Precision drivers? if not which ones (ELAN etc).
    7. Does the touchpad fingerprint sensor come by default?
    8. Never owned a Clevo barebones before, what's the deal with the control center for fan/rgb control? Is it always a Clevo provided one, or do resellers (Sager/EVOC/Metabox) offer their own one? Can they be used interchangeably?
    9. Does the PB71RF-G support PREMA BIOS?
    10. If the BIOS (stock or PREMA) allows it can the Mobile H370 MOBO and VRM handle 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM? Always wondered if constrained thermals of a laptop affect it since I've never seen high end resellers sell those sticks as options.
    11. Lastly any pictures of the innards of this apparent beast? Wanna check the thermal solution!
    Best regards!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Its switchable between optimus and g-sync on the non OLED models using a mux.

Windows precision drivers.

Fingerprint sensor yes if you configure it.

Clevo provided software.

No Prema BIOS I am aware of.

Faster Ram consumes no significant extra power so it's mostly doen to the IMC in the CPU.

Frencho likes this.
  9. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everybody!

After a lot of thinking and arguing with myself, I ordered the Clevo PB71EF-G this weekend and I'm looking forward to finally have it in my hands to test it.
    • i7 8750H
    • RTX 2070
    • 16gb RAM 3000mhz
    • 500gb EVO Plus SSD M2

This is why I chose to buy the PB71EF-G:
    I was interested in the Schenker XMG laptops design wise and build quality of their used chassis.
    Found the pretty good-rated Notebookcheck review of the XMG Neo 17 but especially liked the XMG Pro 17 model (no review of it there sadly).
    However, already their configurations with just an RTX 2060 were quite expensive, so I researched which chassis is used with it and found the clevo, aswell as other resellers of this model. Actually found a good offer.

Been luring around in this forum for information/reviews about this laptop and read like almost the whole thread.
    Though, I still have a few questions of which I'm hoping that you can answer for me :)

Questions:
    • How is the overall build quality? What kind of material is the chassis made of?
      Is the screen stable or can you bend it?
      I thought it would be a metal (alluminum) chassis, since the youtuber "Bob of all Trades" says that in his review
      GenTechPC does not give any information about the material of the chassis sadly
      I asked the customer-support of the shop too and the guy said that it's a plastic chassis :(
      So... what is actually the case!? (I prefer a good quality metal chassis, thats why I ask)
      Edit: The build quality of the chassis is overall pretty nice. Alluminum display cover and keyboard deck/plate, the bottom plate and display frame on the inside plastic are both plastic
    • Display: which model is used in the PB71EF-G? Do you guys get bad backlight bleeding/ghosting/stuff with this display? The biggest fear I have is, that the display has a lot of backlight bleed and having to return the laptop because of this (thats actually a no-go for me - when you pay for a 144hz G-Sync display you don't wanna get distorted by this, right?

• I also thought about getting the Clevo P970ED with an RTX 2060, how would you compare them both overall quality-wise?

• What are the first things I should do to check that the unit is actually fine to keep when it arrives? Is there a general Guide with things to check to make sure everything is running as it should?
    Thanks a lot! ;)
    Looking forward to replies.

EDIT: I finally got my device, so I'll edit the questioned points above for you guys that are seeking the same information as I was...
    Overall pretty nice laptop, still testing the quality display or rather figuring out backlight bleed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Have you checked our product page? We have quite a bit of detail on the main and tech info pages.

B0B likes this.