*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just can't stand Windows 10 because it takes away the end-user's ability to control OS updates. Even with the LTSC/LTSB flavours, you cannot stop automatic updates and do them a la carte like you could in Windows 7. With LTSB 1607, you could disable the Windows Update service and all the task scheduler tasks, and this would effectively stop updates and it works. However, with LTSC 1809, even if you disable the Windows Update service, and all the WU tasks in task scheduler, they are all turned back on at next reboot somehow (I have yet to discover how to disable this), so you cannot escape forced updates. And given that MS is now releasing even small security updates which break your system (like this one: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windo...se-performance-in-certain-games.413820.0.html), I can't in good conscience use it. An OS should never update itself behind the scenes without direct user authorisation, it goes against everything about having total control of your system and OS, going back to the Unix days and mainframes.

Hence yes, for me, unfortunately I have to jump through huge and massive hoops in order to ensure I'm still running Windows 7.

That sounds cool, but even with OLED technology, wouldn't a 60Hz panel show a lot of tearing when gaming? Or does OLED do something special that even at 60Hz you can play games at high FPS (120+) or low (30) and you'll never see tearing?

2. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Win7/Legacy/CSM remarks granted, but pretty low priority for us right now. Hit me a PM when your purchase gets serious.

Tearing can be avoided by using VSync, Adaptive Sync (aka FreeSync) or G-SYNC.
    Unfortunately, NVIDIA does not allow Adaptive Sync on internal panels and especially not through MSHybrid.
    The panel does not support G-SYNC. Thus, your best way to avoid tearing would be to enable VSync, resulting in a small input lag trade-off.

At any rate, as far as I undersand it, OLED does not do anything special when it comes to screen refresh and tearing. The framebuffer is still read line-by-line.
    So far I've only seen a short demo of this panel. We will get our stock next week and continue playing around with it.

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could setup a little wsus server and have it on a domain.

4. a_bolog

a_bolog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is a handy little app, which completely disables any windows update, windows defender, and all the ms bs. Been using it since w8.
    https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

If that is your only reason for not upgrading... I recommend w10, times change.

Capture.JPG

Xikar likes this.
  5. Xikar

Xikar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an XP shrine in the backyard right next to Fluffy, rest her soul.

If I could find a way to extract Cortana, which seems an invasive species impervious to eradication, I would send it up the chimney as smoke.

6. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried setting a Data Limit under settings in Windows 10? That prevents it from automatically downloading updates without your approval.

7. Richteralan

Richteralan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    People will need to be aware of what OLED means.

9. SlashNLennon

SlashNLennon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Am i the only one having the power limit throttling issue? Or is it a normal thing with these recent units and chips? Sager cant answer me anymore and is suggesting to get my unit rma'd. :(

Attached Files:

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    So on a fresh boot it wont open? What if you uninstall the clevo software? All machines have limits 65/45/15 depending on the ccc power plan for the CPU. What are you seeing?