*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will increase idle power consumption. It's a 45w chip so yes the power target is the limiting factor.

2. Valdis

Valdis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got my laptop today. i7-9750H, 2070. I ordered it from XoticPC, their support's been good to me in the past. All the drivers needed were installed, updated a few things, everything seems fine. Survived stress tests, no notable problems with the panel, the CPU tops out at 70 C with a modest undervolt (-90, it can probably go further).

The benchmarks are disappointing. The Fire Strike score is 16506 and the graphics score is 18818 (Time Spy fails on both my old and the new laptop). Notebookcheck lists minimums of 15686 and 19236 for the 2070. So both are low.

The screen is dimmer than the Sager I'm typing this on (3 year old i7-6700HQ, 980M). The keyboard's different, but its just a matter of getting used to it. The fans seem to always run, just sitting here they're at 2k rpm. Set to quiet, this older Sager is almost silent - the new one is audible (really the Clevo settings don't seem to do much). Doesn't seem any louder than the old one under max load though. The power brick is smaller despite having a higher power rating. The SD card is in a weird place. Not bad, just odd. Speakers are vastly better than the old one, both louder and better range.

3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is almost silent at idle. I'll have to check what my graphics score were. I know I've got higher than that, but I feel like that could be within the margin of error in firestrike. Run it a few more times throughout the day, or did you and that's the highest you got?

I'd be interested to see how your 9750H performance is compared to the 8750H.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The 9750H is basically a rebranded 8750H.

Xikar likes this.
  5. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    That seems very low. Set your laptop to "Performance" in Clevo Control Center then run any CPU stress test and see the actual temp it tops out at when it is running at maximum power limit for first few seconds. Or the temps you will get when running a real game like Forza Horizon 4 in benchmark mode, in Ultra setting with uncapped FPS and Clevo Control Center set to Performance.
    That is strange. When set to Quiet mode in Clevo Control Center the fans on my PB51ef run at about 1500 RPM (the GPU fan is around 1000 RPM) and basically silent. Are you sure your Clevo Control Center is installed properly? When you do changes in Power Modes in Clevo Control Center you should see power changes like these in HWiNFO program, these are CPU power limits for each Control Center setting.

This is for Quiet:
    [​IMG]

This is for Entertainment:
    [​IMG]

This is for Performance:
    [​IMG]

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That 10 extra watts on long time turbo goes a long way. Quiet turns it into a U series chip.

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Also, I would not use NotebookCheck as reliable comparison source. They tested using older drivers, current ones are 430.53.

If you're curious, I ran Fire Strike with these drivers and got 16616 score. Graphics score was 19225, test 1 was 90fps and test 2 was 77fps. This is without any undervolting, just repasting and using Performance setting in Clevo Control Center. I use dual channel RAM, 2 8GB sticks of Crucial 2666Mhz.

8. LE878

LE878 Newbie

Reputations:
    What I’m really hoping for is improved temperatures in the 9750 over the 8750. Has anyone done any testing regarding that?

9. Xikar

Xikar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding fans, I erroneously relied upon the Sager website graphic depicting side intakes and rear exhaust.
    No wonder my temps improved when I put it on a vented aluminum pad!!!

You later asked about the keys. They have a crisp but quiet mechanical feel with no sponginess.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. Xikar

Xikar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Minor update. Sager solved my Creative audio problem.