*** Official Clevo PB7xEx-G Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Ah, I see. Only thing Windows Store downloaded for me was some junk Creative control panel. Which I uninstalled. Never looked for Clevo apps there.

2. LE878

LE878 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, new guy here.

I’m about ready to bite the bullet and purchase the PB71RF-G from HIDevolution. Unfortunately there aren’t many reviews of the PB71EF-G, much less the far newer RF-G. I still have some questions and I’m hoping that you fine folk have some answers.

Does this chassis have the same issue with needing to lift the back of the laptop to prevent restriction of airflow as the PB51EF-G?

How well does it deal with temperatures? I know that gaming laptops tend to run hot, but just want to know how good the chassis is at dealing with that heat (I’ll be ordering the conductonaut/Fujipoly combo).

How’s the screen? Would it be a wise investment to spend on backlight bleed checking and/or color calibration?

Thanks.

3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You don't need to lift the back, it just helps to. Stock paste/voltage, and laying flat, the temps are no worse then the competition, if not slightly better. The repaste and pads as well as undervolting will bring those temps down alot. Of course lifting the back helps alot as well, but so does it on virtually every laptop with fan intakes on the bottom.

I think the screen is nice, mine has very little light bleed and nice colors, but I got the 15", so I I don't know how similar the 15" and 17" panels are in terms of quality. Unless you're doing like professional content creation, color calibration isn't really necessary imo.

LE878 likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 17 inch panels are nice too.

5. LE878

LE878 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you both for replying

It’s been a few years since I played games on pc, but I imagine I won’t need more than 16gb of RAM?

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    16gb is the sweet spot currently.

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    You don't need to raise the back but it will help to lower temps when fans are running at high speeds, since most of air comes from bottom area (I am surprised Clevo didn't provide more intake holes above the fans... there are a few small ones in keyboard but more would be better).
    The temps are fine if you use good thermal paste and have good heatsink contact. I repasted my 15" PB51ef and my CPU does not thermally throttle in games even without undervolting. If HIDevolution will do a good repasting job - you also will not see thermal throttling.
    Display is fine. It is IPS type so there will definitely be some light leaking at the edges, that's how all IPS type of displays are. If you want to pay extra for less backlight bleeding - that's up to you. The stock color temperature is not very accurate - the color temperature will be more "cool". I would not pay for color calibration, though - you may like the stock color temperature and you can always buy your own color calibrator on Amazon, calibrating is very easy (you just put sensor on display, select some options in calibration software and let it do its job) and you can use calibrator to calibrate displays for your other PCs or laptops ;-)

LE878 likes this.
  8. LE878

LE878 Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks for the info :)
    How’s the keyboard? While the laptop will mostly be for gaming (let's say 85% gaming), I’ll still be doing some work on MS Word and Excel. Is it about the same as non-mechanical keyboards on other gaming laptops?

9. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Keyboard is ok. Personally I like MSI's keyboard more but it's just personal opinion.

10. SlashNLennon

SlashNLennon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Fixed the tdp and core clocks by setting the speedshift in throttlestop to "1". Im now getting constant 3.9ghz while gaming and increased fps by 3 to 5 haha. However clockspeeds remain at turbo boost at 3.9ghz to 4.1 ghz even when idle. Is this ok to let it boost like this all the time?

However still getting the power limit throttling.

Attached Files: