*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unlikely and I wouldnt try it. It might brick your laptop. Also, the E19 is the 8750H model

2. RiseFromYourGrav

RiseFromYourGrav Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Looking into getting a new laptop after having my trusty Lenovo Y410P for half a decade. I liked that laptop enough, but the cheap plastic has seen better days. I went to my local Microcenter to check out an open box Powerspec 1710, disliked how cheap and flimsy it felt, but I really liked the 1520 sitting next to it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want that laptop (not that I need that much power), the Sager 8957 from GenTech for a bit more with all the modifications I would do (1TB storage, dual channel ram, thermal paste, though only the max-q 2070), or if I should just wait til Black Friday on those or something like a Lenovo Y740. I'm primarily concerned with build quality and thermals, as I want something that will last me a while. I was looking at cheaper $800-1000 laptops, but it was a lot of cheap plastic and unnecessarily thin chassis. I guess my question is how that Powerspec holds up, what other modifications would it need, and whether I'd be better off with that Sager (which might be a different chassis?).

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I personally went with the 1720, but thermals should be very comparable. With a proper undervolt on both CPU/GPU you should not have any thermal concerns whatsoever. I'm using basic Phobya NanoGrase, before that Noctua paste with good results.

As far s build qulaity I have zero complaints after 4-5 months. I regularly put my laptop in a backpack and ride my motorcycle 80 miles to a friends. This laptop might have been going over 150MPH at some points of it's life. I treat it well, but I don't baby it and I use it often/daily. I have also disassembled it at least 10 times, heatsink off at least 6 times. No stripped screws, or cracked plastics anywhere. That's been my experience so far. :)

RiseFromYourGrav likes this.
  4. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you can wait, definately wait for black friday. You might find this laptop cheaper then :D
    This laptop definately feels like it'll last. Deck and lid is metal while the screen bezels and bottom panel are plastic. The thermals are amazing stock and even better with liquid metal (I have the 2070 and 8750H) and not that chunky. I've had mine since late June and I'm a uni student so I constantly keep moving it about. Have zero issues with the build quality.
    Didn't realise Clevo made a P950 (looks to continue the P650) but dayum, those bezels are THICK. PB51 should have a smaller footprint due to the thinner bezels.

5. RiseFromYourGrav

RiseFromYourGrav Newbie

Reputations:
    I just noticed that. The two laptops would be about the same price, but the GenTech one would have the advantage of having someone else install everything, and being all aluminum. But the Max-Q and T H I C C bezels are less appealing. I really like the look and size of the Powerspec. Wonder if I can have Microcenter do the paste, as that's the only thing I'm unsure about.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 16.1" displays offer a much thinner bezel in the latest series.

7. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi!

Picked up an PB51RF (RTX2070 / i9-9980HK / 4K), branded Multicom / Kunshan. Non OS. Drivers on a DVD of course, which I cannot access. Not a single disc-reading device left in the house by now... However, I found a set of PB5x drivers on the resellers website. Those seem to be from Clevo.

Windows update seem to have figured out most of the drivers on its own though. I installed latest Nvidia drivers from their website, and ran Intels Driver and Support Assistant as well. I found installers for the FN-key app and Clevos Control Center. Now everything seem to be up and running.

Still, I am not quite sure if I might be missing some of the manufacturers apps besides of the Control Center or FN keys. Thus I ask.

PS! Good impression of the device otherwise. Better build quality than most MSIs and performance is of course stellar. 4K OLED is great for the kind of work I do. A little fiddly to disassemble like so many laptops, but absolutely doable and I could reuse an old Samsung EVO 840 1tb and a Crucial M500 M.2 500gb from my 2014-era laptop together with the SSD the new one came with (I don't trust mech drives).

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You can use our download section to check.

M4cr0s likes this.
  9. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks!

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    No problem, they have both sager and clevo names listed :)