*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Laptops don't have much passive cooling so seems pretty normal.

2. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For the past couple of days I've noticed something strange going on with my laptop screen. A spot in the middle has been developing what seems like a strip where pixels look "shinier" than the rest. This is almost exclusively noticeable on a black screen, but my worry is that it seems to be getting worse. When I first noticed it it was just a slight smudge, but now it's staring to show a bit more.

Has anyone had this happen to them with this or any other laptop screen?

1.jpeg

Had this pics brightness adjusted to make the spot more prominent*

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Talk to your reseller, not normal.

4. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've read that opening up the bottom panel of the Clevo PB51RC is difficult and requires taking out the battery and keyboard. I've also read some other comments that contradict this and say it's relatively quick and easy and the keyboard doesn't needed to be detached from the motherboard. Can someone who has worked with the model or a similar chassis tell me which is true? What actually needs to be removed in order to add something like additional storage? How hard is it?

5. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It.... Depends...
    The battery is designed to be removable so that isn't a big issue. Just two screws and it's out without having to open up the back panel.
    For some reason, some have screws pre-installed underneath the keyboard that prevent the back panel coming out so the keyboard would have to be removed. Mine was one of these and it still was pretty quick and easy to get to the internals. It's just a simple toothpick into a hole and the keyboard pops off and then it's just removing screws to get in the internals.

6. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see. So you would have to use a pick to pop off the keyboard, unscrew the screws hidden underneath the keyboard, and then you can remove the bottom panel? Did you have to detach the ribbon cables too? Sounds annoying but not that big of a deal I guess.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If you are careful the ribbons can be left in place.

8. Muuke

Muuke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I've contacted 2 sellers and asked about the cooling solution, they both confirmed that the RTX 2070 Version has a better cooling solution than the RTX 2060.

(Seemingly for both PB5X and PB7X) However, I've gone through both owners lounge threads, can't find any pictures posted to confirm or deny this.

Does anyone have pictures or can elaborate?

Here's the PB5X picture by Eurocom: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Eurocom/Nightsky_Ti15/m460_11.jpg
    and the PB7X picture by Eurcom: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Eurocom/Nightsky_RX17/rx17_euro.png

These pictures also do not say if It's the RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 cooling solution. Do not know the differences.

Also an additional question about cooling:

It would seem like the PB5X has better CPU cooling? Dual heatpipes directly to both fans, whereas the PB7X has better GPU cooling?

Basically want to buy the laptop with the best cooling. It'll be used for work related tasks. (AI Visualisation, Hyper-V, etc). CPU Will be pinned at 100% while GPU will sit at 30-40% (So no need for RTX 2070 actually, but if the cooling solution is better and can help with CPU clocks that's a bonus.)

Any guidance would be very helpful, thanks! :)

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Muuke Here is a link that has the PB70 cooling pictured. - PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

The 8750H runs hot compared to an RTX 2070 but the cooling seems adequate for the 17" model in my opinion. You can tune the fan profile to meet your needs.

10. Muuke

Muuke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

@4W4K3 Thanks! That picture does look different than the PB71 Photo I linked.
    The picture I linked from Eurocom for PB70 doesn't say GPU configuration. But I did notice urs is a 2070.
    So do you think the photo you linked with RTX 2070 and the one I linked with RTX 2060? Looks like one extra heatpipe bottom right from CPU to the right fan. Or am I mistaken?

I also guess I should've clarified to what I want to purchase:

The 2 configurations I'm looking at are either:

PB51 with 9750H + 500GB PM812 Samsung SSD + 16GB 2666MHz 8x2
    and then GPU either RTX 2060 or RTX 2070.

PB71 with 9750H + 500GB PM812 Samsung SSD + 16GB 2666MHz 8x2
    and then GPU either RTX 2060 or RTX 2070.

I don't want the 8750H. I wanted to know the differences of cooling so I know what to purchase.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019