*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. DrButtDrugs

DrButtDrugs Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my PowerSpec 1520 last week and I've got to say, I am very happy with the purchase so far. It's replacing my 6600k/1060 desktop system, going from 4c/4t to 6c/12t, along with the full-fat 2070, is pretty impressive. Bought it so my wife and I can share a workstation with monitor/peripherals and just swap between my laptop and her macbook on the same desk - baby on the way means no more office for dad :rolleyes:

It works fantastically, I plug in with power (barrel connector), DisplayPort-via-rear-USB-C, and a USB-C hub with all the peripherals plugged in on the right side. She simply plugs in with a single USB-C which supplies her power, peripherals, and and HDMI connection to the same monitor (but not at 144hz as mine is, doubt she'd notice the difference).

Along with the laptop I purchased and installed an extra 16gb sodimm and when I had the back off I had planned to replace the thermal goo with Kryonaut. Unfortunately for me, one of the screws on the CPU block portion of the cooler was mostly rounded out and I wasn't able to unscrew it. Being one of the spring-captive screws, I didn't want to risk damaging the spring beyond usability without a replacement in hand. I used some pliers just to confirm the screw would spin (only gave it about 1/8th a turn) and it will comply with that, just need to find a unicorn screwdriver that is broad enough to engage the outermost edges of the phillips slot but small enough to actually get far enough in to provide the necessary leverage.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? I work on my car frequently enough that I'm pretty careful not to round out my fasteners. The laptop came with a few extra screws which may fit, or I can pick some up elsewhere. Any insight as to whether replacing the screw from the spring will be a painful or painless experience?

Finally, I bought this stand as I like the height, and the area underneath is open enough to contain the mess of cables plugged into the USB-C hub. Unfortunately the two bars holding up the laptop cover exactly the two fan intakes - when benchmarking on the stand, I had CPU throttling peaks as high as 15% within ~10 minutes. Is anyone using a laptop stand that you really like? I don't need portable at all, prefer something 4-8 inches off the desk with room underneath to contain a bunch of cables, and in the $20-30 range would be ideal.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah losing an office is tricky :/

I adapted my cooler master adjustable height stand with my own fans and such in my youtube channel.

3. scorprulebad

scorprulebad Newbie

Reputations:
    I also got one of the Clevo PB5xExx and want to share with you a cooling profile that makes the version with the RTX 2060 basically noiseless, even when putting higher loads as games on it, while keeping the GPU and CPU temperature below 90° when lifted up a few cm from the ground. Concretely I developed it for the Schenker XMG Pro 15 Early 2019 model, i7-8570 version, but should also work with i7-9750 late 2019 model. It can be applied with the Obisdian fan control software (30$) and might also work for the RTX 2070 version, when pushing the limits a little bit higher. In my case the additional investment was worth it as the PC get's basically totally silent compared to the default Clevo Fan Control behaviour which is quite noisy and cools more than actually necessary to keep the hardware in good condition. I also tested some other laptops (Omen 2019 model, Lenovo Y740, Alienware m15 2018 model) and saw that thanks to the possibility to customize the cooling with the profile, the Clevo PB5xEx is most silent among all competitors while keeping 3,9Ghz CPU Baseclock on up to 4 cores silently, when applying the Entertainment mode in Clevo Control center and undervolting GPU and CPU to -100mV.
    https://www42.zippyshare.com/v/sLBrktgd/file.html

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:

This was the stand I did.

5. DrButtDrugs

DrButtDrugs Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks very good. Was the unmodified cooler not sufficient or did you just do it for fun?

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Proper airflow from two high performance fans can help a bit.

7. DrButtDrugs

DrButtDrugs Newbie

Reputations:
    So I took a risk and unfastened the tricky screws (there were 3 that all refused to turn with my #0 driver) with a pair of pliers. Everything went better than expected. I replaced the factory paste with Kryonaut and my temps in the GTA5 benchmark dropped by nearly 15c (~69c CPU, ~65c GPU), all while sitting on my stupid flow-restrictive laptop stand.

ThrottleStep set to -125mV on core and cache
    MSI Afterburner set to a curve that completely flattens past 900mV

It did not show the improvements I was really hoping to see: About 16400 in Firestrike. In stress tests, with AIDA64 and FurMark running I was seeing my hottest CPU core skyrocket to 96c causing some throttling on the short term turboboost and the package leveled out to 91c from about 2 minutes through the end of the 15 minute test. GPU maintained a brisk 71c.

I'm continuing my search for a proper mod to my laptop stand which maintains room underneath for the dongle-nest. I think tonight I will try zip-ties and some foam to prop up the rear.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM
  8. DrButtDrugs

DrButtDrugs Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: It worked great! No more throttling, temps down nearly 10 degrees. Completely expected of course, because now the fans aren't being choked.

[​IMG]

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's at that peak load it makes a difference, nice work :)

10. Its_Snowing

Its_Snowing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are people getting in terms of idle temps? I'm sitting at ~43-45C in optimal power management in the nvidia settings, power saving in the control center, -140mv undervolt, and stock thermal paste. That feels a bit high to me.... but I'm curious about others and if the thermal paste really makes a difference even at idle.