*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. scarletfever

scarletfever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The scores were in line with the other 8750/2070 combinations. Seems to slightly outperform the 80w variant of the 2080mq. Having said that I really hope the 17” version I have coming doesn’t get that loud during gaming.

2. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    There should be fan control included, part of Control Center. Unfortunately Sager does not provide any downloads for this model on their site and none of the resellers do that now. You can download it from Clevo's website, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019
    scarletfever likes this.
  3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Prostar has all the downloads on their site, including the control software, and manual, which I was looking through last week. I know alot of them just redirect to sager for downloads, but a couple of them actually have them available themselves, Prostar being the only one I know off the top of my head.

Also Obsidian has a custom Clevo control package available also which I'm more than likely going to get.

4. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Yes, there's a thread about Obsidian's utility, I looked at screenshots and it looks like a nice alternative to Clevo's own.

5. Sabin17

Sabin17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I'm deciding between this (Sager NP8356) and the latest ASUS SCAR II (coming off a Sager NP8150). I like the port placement of the Sager more since it's similar to what it's replacing, but the ASUS is supposed to have a great screen with full sRGB coverage. The question remains how good the display on this laptop is. The video showed the screen ID AUO80ED which seems to be around the low 90% sRGB so is that the only option or will it be different by vendor?

6. scarletfever

Reputations:
    This one is gsync, so I guess you have to decide what is more important to you. Color accuracy isn’t something I particularly care about I guess.

7. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine today. First thing I noticed was the nice matte black finish on the metal parts of the chassis. Whole thing has kind of a nice subtle Batman aesthetic to it. Build quality is nice, feels real sturdy. The bottom cover is plastic, but has alot of metal reinforcement you'll see in the pics.

EDIT: Pics are huge, so put the rest in a spoiler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out how to get the bottom cover off. DO NOT BEND, BREAK, WARP, OR OTHERWISE JACK UP THE BOTTOM PANEL TRYING TO GET IT OFF. There are 2 screws underneath the keyboard that screw into the bottom panel from above. So you have to remove the bottom screws, open it up, stick a toothpick or something through the designated one to pop the keyboard, then remove the top two. Then the cover comes off fairly easy. Not entirely sure about the reasoning behind that, but whatever. The RAM is made by Goldkey, not any of the bigger brands. Model number is GKE160SO102408-3000A. You have to unscrew the 2.5" drives PCB to lift up and plug the drive in. Might be able to just squeeze it in, but it would start pretty diagonal so I didn't want to risk damaging the connectors. I also have 2 empty m.2 slots for upgrading later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also included in the box was the manual, drivers USB, a microfiber cloth, screws for the 2.5" drive bay, and two other things I have no idea what they are. There's some sort of adhesive square pad, and two hex shaped screws.
    [​IMG]

I haven't gotten around to testing the performance yet, due to some Windows activation hoops I had to jump through. I'll update on that tonight. Otherwise the fan noise isn't that bad. I turned them to max just to see how loud they were, and they are loud, but they're not high pitched so it's not that annoying really.

Also here's a cat.
    [​IMG]

8. scarletfever

Reputations:
    Thanks for the write up. Not immediately finding that ram anywhere, is there a more popular brand that sells a compatible one? I ordered a 16x1 3000mhz so I want to add a second one.

9. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Asus SCAR will have more accurate display. But it will be more expensive and from what I've seen in Asus forums - the CPU runs very hot on these units, making it a necessity to repaste and undervolt. Plus Asus quality control is not very best (you can find many examples of it in other forum section). It's up to you if you want to deal with that.

Nice. Would really like to see the temps and fan speeds before repaste and after if you're planning on doing that.

Also I dunno what games you have but would be interesting to see results for games like BF5 and Metro Exodus since they're the most demanding with RTX enabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
    raz8020 likes this.
  10. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's because GenTech place their meter directly onto the output vents which is a terrible way to test. The force of the air pushing out and onto the mic will drastically blow out the reading. Think about the loud pops you hear when somebody talks into a microphone or on the phone to you on a very windy day. The wind doesn't make much noise, but the sheer pressure of air impacting the mic creates huge spikes.

Standard readings are taken something like 20-30 cm from the front of the laptop (to simulate the user's expected position). NBC has this documented for all their reviews and most manufacturer specifications are done in a similar manner (e.g. MaxQ spec is designed around similar positioning).

raz8020 and Ashlander like this.