*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    SSDs do not have spindle speeds ;)

Switchable graphics like the original. OLED is the only one locked to optimus only.

2. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The RTX gpus have a massive performance drop with optimus/hybrid. The difference on my PB51EF between hybrid and dedicated is usually about 15-20%, with no other changes. Was about the same with the 2070 Scar II I tried for a few weeks in Feb, though that was optimus only, so the difference was between optimus, and the dedicated output through HDMI. I'm not sure if the Turing GTX suffer the same drop, but it's pretty well known I think with the RTX chips.

I don't even care about G-Sync specifically, I just want to be able to switch to dedicated. I know some people would like the OLED for content creation and stuff, but since I don't need that, hybrid only in anything is an immediate deal-breaker, personally.

That's great to hear.

3. meji658

meji658 Newbie

Reputations:

hi! I am planning to purchase this laptop. It will be the barebone, without an ssd or ram.

Any advice?

any particular order to install the drivers? or anything i should be aware of?

I saw that you purchased it like that!

Thank you

4. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How did you measure this? Is this with VSync on? I've been running some benchmarks (mostly Time Spy and Fire Strike) and any difference seems to be very small. (Fire Strike seems to run about 200pts more, actually). That is on a PB70EF-G, but I would think it would be very similar.

5. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought it without storage but I did buy it with RAM so I sorta know what to do :p

If you have storage already with an OS on it already, I'd suggest you reinstall it fresh. I didn't and it eventually messed up my Windows 10 and so I was forced to reinstall it fresh. My games and OS drive are separate so I could keep my game drive intact while reinstalling Windows.

6. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like UberMedic said, make sure you do a fresh install. Also make sure you have a product key for windows (or have one associated with your account that will transfer over). After you got Windows installed, it's generally advised to installed the chipset driver and any BIOS updates first, then video/audio, then the rest. I could be wrong, but I don't the order is really all the important these days. One thing to make sure of is to install the original Nvidia drivers from the manufacturer first, before updating to the most recent versions. I had some issues with low performance in optimus unless I installed the release version of the driver then updated. Then, all I do is open up device manager, go down the list of drivers/updates on the clevo/reseller site, and compare the driver versions with the versions currently installed and update as necessary. The fingerprint and card reader drivers will need to be installed, as they won't be automatically installed with windows.

I would also suggest forgoing the Control Center 3 app, and downloading only the Keyboard LEDs, and fn hotkeys apps from the Microsoft store (search for clevo). The CC3 download will install all of them from the Microsoft store, but most of it is useless tbh. Maybe get the GPU overclocking as well, if you just want basic OCing and you're not going to use afterburner or something else. This is entirely up to you and what you want to install though, just installing the whole package wont hurt anything either.

The actual in-game difference is pretty big, depending on the games. FH4 for example got average fps in the 70s, in dedicated it gets in the mid 90s to low 100s, sometimes even as high as 120 (though that's pretty rare and dependent on location, etc, but the equivalent highest in hybrid seems to be around mid 80s). Same effect in SoTTR, Hitman, and about every other game I tried. The 2070 SCAR II I tested had almost identical results as this, between it's optimus and the HDMI output (dedicated).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    ferris209 and GGTK like this.
  7. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Edit: I figured out how to convert the drive to GPT, but I'd still like to know why UEFI was enabled when the BIOS showed differently.

Can anyone tell me how I can boot in legacy mode? Is it just turning off UEFI? I keep getting this error:

even with fast boot disabled and the USB formatted to MBR. Extremely confused:

111.jpg 222.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  8. accordion

Reputations:
    Benchmarks: 3DMark_rFW9Wyv8di.png CINEBENCH_Windows_64_Bit_bDglb9BZC9.png

Temps after Firestrike:
    HWiNFO64_rB1TK9CqUG.png

Is the Cinebench score a little low? What else can I try with Throttlestop/Afterburner?

-125 UV with increased IccMax: CINEBENCH_Windows_64_Bit_m9B8dNFYvs.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Cant see the images but likely an error message not quite getting the issue right.

10. accordion

Reputations:
    I'm running into two issues. When I switch the power profile in Clevo Control Center it would reset to Entertainment as soon as click "back" or close CCC. I can't find a way to switch the profile via keyboard. Pressing Fn + ESC does nothing.

The TPL option in Throttlestop seems to only work if the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" box is checked. Otherwise the 45W/78W limits apply no matter what the TPLs are set to. When I checked that option, after some tests, my CPU got out of whack and would permanently stick to 3.9Ghz no matter the utilization. Had to reinstall Windows after that. Is this the only way to bypass PL1 besides CCC?

With a -145 mV core and -125 cache UV I've been able to get 1250/2700 scores for Cinebench R15/R20. But PL1 would kick in about a third of the way into R20 and at the end of R15. Should the CPU be throttling during these benchmarks?