*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I adjusted to .800v after posting the screenshot to very similar results. The Firestrike score I last posted was the result of the 180/600 using Afterburner, without any curve tweak.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes direct connected, but still very niche ;)

If it fits a double sided drive will work no issue :)

3. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It gives the benefits of OC cause it's running at a higher frequency than it normally does.
    I do it at .900mV cause I still want a lot more power since my laptop runs really cool (under 80C straight from XMG, whatever they did to it makes it run super cool). In total, my laptop barely uses over 180W of power which is super nice (along with the CPU UV).

As for how I did it, I clicked the OC button on the top left of the MSI afterburner and then clicked scan. It'll try to apply the best OC to your GPU curve at each voltage. Then I opened up the curve and set it flat after 0.900mV. You might want to set it at a lower voltage if you want it to use less power and produce less heat.

That +500mHz OC is for the memory which I figured out manually. I ran Superposition with different memory OCs until I found the one that gave the best score (which was +500, it might be different for you since not all memory is created equally)

lappyluke likes this.
  4. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks mate. I'm quite new to all this benchmarking and OC stuff so I'm still learning. Probably have to get into it some more to understand all of that. Can you recommend a guide or smth?

When does the gpu actually increases its mV? At 900mV it would stall on that performance of ~1930mhz, so whats the reason to draw more power after 900mV

Where did you get the information of your total 180w from? HWMonitor?
    I guess that "cool 80C" is for the CPU and includes the UV (@ how much, -.125v?)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    [Whoops, nvm. Double posted while editing. No function to delete a post?]

6. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Ah it's not that hard. Here, I'll guide you through it. I'll even put in clickbaity red circles and arrows

1. Install MSI Afterburner. Link is here: http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip
    2. Open MSI Afterburner and click the OC button. This'll open a window called "MSI Overclocking Scanner"
    3. [​IMG]
    4. Click the scan button on the window that shows
    5. Let the window do its thing. If you want to see what it's doing, click on the afterburner screen and press CTRL + F. This'll open the voltage curve and you can see it being changed. This'll take a while
    6. [​IMG]
    7. You should end up with this text on the "MSI Overclocking Scanner" window:
    8. [​IMG]
    9. Close the "MSI Overclocking Scanner" and click apply.
    10. [​IMG]
    11. Save the profile by clicking the floppy disk icon and then click a number near that icon.
    12. [​IMG]
    13. Open the voltage curve using CTRL + F and flatten it after a certain voltage. I personally use 0.900mV but feel free to use more or less. I'd recommend less and wouldn't recommend more. Easiest way to do this is to just drag all the points past your UV point below it.
    14. [​IMG]
    15. Click apply on Afterburner and save said profile. And your UV / OC is now complete! (for the core anyway...). If you did what I said above, the curve should flatten out like so:
    16. [​IMG]

The GPU increases its mV depending on its job and its temperature. If it can run faster within its temperate limit, it will do so and increase its mV. By limiting the maximum amount of power it can draw, you prevent power limit throttling and reduce the temperature overall. This gives a more consistant performance to the GPU. It also reduces the fan speed so you end up with a quieter system even when under full load. My system actually runs really quiet (for a gaming laptop) when under full load. If my last laptop was a jet engine, this one is a loud conversation :D Of course, you could just forgo the UV and use only the OC so you get the maximum performance (I wouldn't be suprised if you hit 2GHz) if the cooling system can handle it but expect the fans to scream!

I got my power usage from using HWiNFO64.
    The "cool 80C" is from both the CPU and GPU :) I use a -125mV UV but not all CPUs are created equally. You'll need to find what your CPU runs best at.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Lower voltage will mean higher clocks at the same power also assuming its stable.

8. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot, very informative.
    I followed B0B's guide on youtube but this adds nicely to it.
    (awesome clickbaity circles and arrows :))

9. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Glad to be of help!

10. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for being annoying with this question but I'd really like to get it right. Can anyone verify they've successfully added double sided non Samsung/WD Black 1TB+ NVMe SSDs?