*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    VR is VERY niche still.

2. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol *very*niche? While it doesn’t apply to the laptop, do you know how many vr units playstation has sold? I get that in all it’s still a small percentage, but we are talking about millions of users. Wouldn’t be that strange for someone to have tested it on this (specially the manufacturer..?)

In any case, the mini DP *is* directly connected to the 2070, right..?

Here’s some figures, and forecasts, it’s becoming less of a niche each day...

https://www.viar360.com/virtual-reality-market-size-2018/

3. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's what I did and I end up with a score of 6163 in Unigen Superposition.
    [​IMG]

I've yet to actually try using my VR headset on this laptop! Thanks for reminding me :p (I use a Lenovo Explorer)
    I'll play some Beat Saber and record it. Any song suggestions? :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    ZaiArgylle and walterg74 like this.
  4. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I was able to find out that doubled sided NVMe sticks do fit, but even Gentech doesn't know whether or not they'll work. Is there any way to confirm without having to try it myself? I'm looking at the 2TB Corsair MP510 and the HP EX950. There seems to be only three options for singled sided 2TB NVMe, Samsung, WD Black, or Intel 660P. If the double sided SSDs can fit then it would save me a lot of money.

5. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing this, I'll definitely try this config out!

6. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Slot 1 supports NVME and SATA drives.
    Slot 2 is NVME only.

They're both keyed the same and not well labelled (mine doesn't even say which is which on the PCB). So if you have a SATA drive you'll need to swap it around so it's in slot 1 (closest to the touchpad from memory).

Your Crucial MX500 is definitely a SATA drive, but what is the other one? Maybe you've actually just got 2x SATA M.2 drives?

Also worth noting, some M.2 drives are just labelled badly. Plus some older NVME drives use a SATA controller on them.

4W4K3 likes this.
  7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can confirm the following (on my PB51RF-G) are connected to the Nvidia GPU:
    • HDMI
    • Mini-DP
    • DisplayPort via USB 3 (rear)
    Haven't tested the DisplayPort via Thunderbolt 3 (right side port). But judging from the PB50RC service manual, it is also connected to the NV GPU.

As for VR, it's great (Oculus CV1 here). Haven't attempted it un-tethered though (ie. backpack and running off battery). You could probably play some lighter VR games on battery though.

I do recommend undervolting as much as possible (GPU and CPU). This should be done on any mobile GPU used for VR. The main reason is that ASW (Async SpaceWarp for Oculus, SteamVR also has a motion smoothing option) makes it's decision to kick in based on GPU utilization, which in turn is based on GPU clockspeed.
    Since Mobile chips are power-limited, the clockspeed moves around, which presents a "moving target" for ASW so it may kick in when you don't want it to. The more stable you get your GPU clock under load, the more reliable ASW becomes.

walterg74 and 4W4K3 like this.
  8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    These are them - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6FJS7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SQ8J1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel dense for not fully understanding, but it seems you're right that it's not always clear on the drive and only 1 slot on the motherboard is clearly labeled.

In the future I'll be sure to buy the correct one. I just lucked out having this 256GB from a previous laptop along with the MX500.

9. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you saying you used the same settings like me when you got those underperforming scores? Because your MSI Curve Editor was a fixed line starting at .700v while I adjusted it only after .800v. Don't know if it makes such a difference though.

Could you tell me which adjustments exactly you did? Only OC the GPU to +180mhz/600 Core/MemClock? Did you do that with the standart Clevo Control Center?

Could you explain why editing the curve after .900v to a flat line grants benefits of OC and UV?
    Again, how did you do the OC and UV in the first place, is it just the +500mhz at MSI Afterburner in the screenshot?

I'm still wondering if that metal liquid really did all of the improvement.
    As I have the bigger 17" chassis, shouldn't I have more free space in the chassis, more breathing room, thus better cooling and after all a better performance as the 15" model (by default under same circumstances)?

Was my assumption right on how to edit the gpu curve to a fixed line only after .800v and keep it on default before that point?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That should be fine. The SiliconPower is indeed NVME. So just make sure the SATA SSD is in the correct slot and both should be detected.

4W4K3 likes this.