*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The naming is confusing me. It came with the PCI-e port blank. Both of the drives I have say "NVME" & "SATA". But the smaller 256GB lists PCI-e Gen 3 x 4. Both drives worked in my previous laptop, but now the larger one doesn't in the new laptop. I guess I don't understand the difference, and why the smaller/cheaper of the drives is the one that works? Are some M.2 NVME SATA drives not PCI-e compatible? How do you tell, because I definitely didn't buy the drives knowing they were different.

It's also 4AM. Maybe I just need some rest and a fresh set of eyes in a few hours haha. Thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Both are physically the same, sata and PCI-e are very different electrically though and slots need to be able to handle switching between the two. Check your manual for more info.

4W4K3 likes this.
  3. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all, I come from the PB71EF-G Thread as I do have the 17" model. But I saw some interesting posts here aswell!

I had the same issue. Couldn't get into BIOS even though I used the right keys (F2, spamming like a mad man).
    Apparently, with Windows10 the OS doesn't always shut down completely when you klick "shut down".

So what helped me is to HOLD Shift while klicking "shut down". This will force windows to shut down completely and let you get into BIOS on the next "full/fresh" start.

Quoting these two posts of yours, because I'm basicly in the exact same situation as you with my new PB71EF-G.
    I am too getting a much worse performance on these tests than other people posting and especially BobOfAllTrades video review on the PB51EF-G on youtube.
    Also followed his guides to undervolt my cpu to .-125v and did tweak the GPU with MSI Curve Editor.
    I did this too. Don't know If I did it right, but I set it to 1500mhz only after the point .800V. So I left the standart values until .800v and then made a fixed line at 1500mhz.

Really, I just want to understand why mine's underperforming, aswell.
    Calling @B0B could you have a look at our situation? :)

This is what I posted in the other thread:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    ZaiArgylle likes this.
  4. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I find it best to use the OC scanner on MSI Afterburner and then set a flat frequency after around 0.9v so you get the benefits of both an OC and an UV.

5. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine had Liquid Metal and I was always showing performance with the Dedicated GPU and not MSHybrid.

Beyond that, it can come down to

-Windows build (1809 vs 1903 right now would surprise you)

-BIOS and power limits set per the manufacturer.

-Things such as the Clevo Control Center that have a baked-in XTU profiles that control the power limits of the CPU.

lappyluke and 4W4K3 like this.
  6. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've made some adjustments and gotten to very decent scores the last few days, but what I still don't get is how the Clevo modes work with this Chassis. Do you recall if you were able to draw more than 45w on any other clevo mode aside from performance during benchmarks with the HIDEvolution test unit you reviewed? During gameplay I have a hard time getting up and maintaining 55w with the games I have access to, but I've noticed I can go beyond 45w during benchmarks on every mode, including Power Saving. Switching to Performance Mode doesn't seem to affect the TDP reflected by HWInfo and AIDA64, as shown in my previous posts.

Thanks for your input.

I figured as much. Those settings were the ones I was running when I was underperforming. I'm currently running an OC of +180 mhz Core Clock and +600 Memory Clock. I've attached my current scores for reference.

I'm still playing around with Afterbunner, will definitely try this out. Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So... nobody does VR on this..?

8. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just because your cpu can pull that much wattage doesn’t mean it needs to.

This is why I use BF online as it will not only pull some serious wattage from all necessary components, but it’ll reveal issues very easily too.

If your GPU is pushing 90%+ utilization then the CPU is doing its job and therefore won’t necessarily need to be balls-out either.

ZaiArgylle likes this.
  9. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Understood. My question was geared more towards the difference between the Control Center modes which, at least in the Powerspec version, have a very confusing interaction with the TDP

10. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not recall how it worked for the EVOC I reviewed but there was a difference between the default and performance modes I do know that.

How that translates per the software and manufacturers BIOS has been difficult to nail down since there’s so many companies that offer the same chassis.

I once tried the Clevo Control Center from the Windows store and it was a hot mess compared to the correct one provided from HID for example.

ZaiArgylle likes this.