*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh for the love of god. I just turned on my laptop normally and it went into the bios itself. What laptop have I bought xD

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The wonderful world of UEFI ;)

3. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just grabbed an open box 1520 from microcenter for 1189. It seems one reason for returns is backlight bleed. My unit had moderate light bleed and I could see why someone would return it with a price of $1400. When I asked the manager if the screen could be replaced under warranty he took another 100 off. The backlight bleed is not so bad now... If you are interested in this system, you might want to check you local Microcenter and see what they have. Firestrike run:

Attached Files:

• FS.jpg
      FS.jpg
      File size:
      258.8 KB
      Views:
  4. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any thoughts on this @B0B ??

5. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Comparing my scores to yours I notice my Core clock and Memory bus clock speeds sit far below yours, which I'm guessing is the reason why my graphic score is almost 2k points below yours.

Did you apply any type of overclocking to your machine, asides from any tinkering with the voltage curve? I'm completely new to GPU overclocking, and just want to understand why my systems performance does not seem to be up to par to other scores shared here.

Attached Files:

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    What power mode are you in with the clevo control centre?

7. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Performance mode. The computer does draw 55w during benches. Was just confirming if switching "clevo modes" should reflect in the systems reported TDP by HWInfo, AIDA64, etc... or if it just remains static, even though the laptop is able to draw more wattage, as shown in the attachment following.

UPDATE: Nevermind my testing. I've switched over to every possible clevo profile and it draws 55w with all of them during TS Benchmark. I've tested it with BFV and it does hit 55 sporadically (on all the profiles), but RTSS's Power Limit warning seems to be on all the time in every profile except Power Savings, even when it says its only pulling 30w~. There is a difference in FPS though, switching from Power Savings to any other profile yielded a substantial increase, but toggled PL throttling notice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I assume it does, since *I think* I read somewhere that the mini display port is directly connected to the discrete 2070, but has anyone tried the new Rift S with the laptop?

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just picked up a PowerSpec 1720 today and am in love. The performance is crazy! And the keyboard is real fun, as it reacts to even non-RGB attached USB keyboards so it's like a ghost typing on the laptop.
    Anyways...initial testing revealed nearly 85W draw during a Cinebench run and some definite throttling down to 3.4GHz as the CPU reached BDprochot level of 96C quite quickly. Still, a respectable ~2650 points in Cinebench R20 with zero tweaking.

About and hour with ThrottleStop tweaking and I managed a cool -0.150v core undervolt which limits the overall draw to around 70W peak during benches. More tweaking to the fan profile and I'm averaging 80-82C instead of the previous 96C and a new Cinebench R20 score of 3088!!!

I've only played World War Z for a few hours but the G-SYNC display is amazing! 144Hz/FPS all day long, and I can play at full 1080/Ultra settings. A first for me! If you don't limit the frames, I've seen upwards of 350 at times! Put a smile on my face.

The BIOS is the best I've ever used on a laptop. Mouse inputs, overclocking options, real control! A big step coming from my previous Acer Nitro 5.

Now, the one issue I am having; it has two M.2 ports and another 2.5" SATA port . It came with a single 500GB M.2 NVME which works great. I plugged in another one (different brand) into the 2nd M.2 port and it doesn't recognize in BIOS, Windows, or anywhere. It's like it's not there. But it's a good drive that works in other laptops. Any ideas friends? I'd like to use it for more game storage.

EDIT: The plot thickens. I took it apart to repaste the CPU/GPU with great success. While there, I threw in another 256GB M.2 PCIE gen 3x4 and it WORKED! So the port is confirmed working. I just have no idea why it doesn't work with my Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD drive. Anyone? Is it because it previously had Windows on it? Should I wipe and retry?

In BIOS it has either AHCI (i think) or Optane mode. Never tried Optane but I assume that wont make my 500GB drive work.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Perhaps something to do with one being PCI-e and the other SATA?