*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) It should come come with both M.2 screws and a riser screw for both.
    2) A toothpick, or something similar, to pop the keyboard (there are 2 screws underneath that may or may not be installed), as well as something like a guitar pick helps alot with separating the bottom cover without warping or damaging anything. I personally wouldn't bother without either of those, but others in this thread have done it with just the screw driver set.

4) The HDD being occupied wont impact anything else.

5) 1440p is the sweetspot between resolution and fps imo. Probably wont be anywhere near 144 in most games though.

2. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To Answer your questions:
    1. The M.2 screws are usually left in the motherboard for your use. Alternatively the builder/reseller should supply you with a small bag containing the M.2 screws
    2. You'll need 2 sizes of phillips head (as the M.2 and HDD screws are different sizes to the main chassis screws).
      • For the PB5 series you need to undo ALL of the bottom panel screws.
      • Then pop the keyboard out through the rear-most keyboard screw hole (you can use a very thin jeweler screw-driver for this or a toothpick).
      • Now you need to pop the keyboard off and there are 2 more screws (under the keyboard) which need to be un-done.
      • You don't need to remove the keyboard ribbon cables if you're careful, but it's much easier to work with if you do remove the keyboard entirely.
      • Then you can remove the bottom panel. Looking at it upside down, with the exhaust vents to the top, start from the top right then move around in a clockwise direction un-clipping it as you go.
    3. Both M.2 slots support NVME. Only slot 1 supports SATA devices. Slot 1 should be the one closest to the 2.5" HDD slot.
    4. No. Everything is in the clear.
    5. 1440p/144hz/165hz is perfect. Make sure you also buy a mini-DP -> DP cable. HDMI is not cannot carry G-Sync. The RTX 2060 and 2070 can well and truly hit 144fps in games where you really care about speed (CS:GO, LoL, Dota2, Overwatch etc).

accordion likes this.
  3. hoyhey

hoyhey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    2070 can push fps above 60 with very high/near max graphics settings. You won't get 144 fps from triple A title games even with 2080 unless graphics are set to medium or lower).

Also, 144Hz monitor is worth buying just from daily use - you will notice the cursor moves a lot more smooth. I noticed this immediately when switching from 60hz to 144hz.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just the smoothness on the desktop is nice yes, FPS is going to depend on settings.

5. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know if they type C DPs support GSYNC?

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes, direct dgpu connected so g-sync.

7. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    Neither of those issues keeps it from prematurely shutting down the screen if I walk away for, say, 15 minutes even with the screen open. And it will sometimes come back after moving the mouse, sometimes not. It seems to be more of an issue honestly if I AFK while using the 2070. Maybe there are even more power settings conflicting in the GeForce drivers/experience I need to check... So many things trying to control functionality, it makes my head spin.

8. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the responses. A few more off topic questions about SSDs.

1. I'm looking to get a 2TB nvme. The Sabrent Rocket is only $260 on Amazon but it's apparently a mydigitalssd bpx pro? Is it worth shelling out $40 more for a Corsair MP510 or HP EX950? My main concern is performance at near full capacity. Not considering Samsungs due to price.

2. Does the 2.5" bay accept only SATA drives?

3. Is there anything tricky I should know about for putting the laptop back together? I have liquid metal on CPU/GPU, that shouldn't be a problem when flipping the laptop around right?

4. Is it worth it to invest in an SSD heatsink?

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If you intend to hammer the drive, fill it and work it at capacity the Samsung is worth considering for endurance.

There is no other interface for mobile 2.5" other than SATA.

No sad heatsink needed normally.

10. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, happy heatsinks are better