*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    D6E864D8-CE8D-46C1-AEBD-C61F137D7C63.jpeg 1F4AFBE4-D6D0-4E8E-90D5-96D0961BDBF9.jpeg Hey guys, disassembling the laptop to add the second M2 drive, and noticed 2 of the screws have what seem to be a keyboard icon on one and the same icon plus “something else” on the other.

1) do these need to come off too?
    2) what do the icons represent they’re for?

2. Jetcat3

Jetcat3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Gigabyte announced an X-Rite Pantone calibrated version of the same OLED panel. 125% sRGB instead of 258%.

3. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am so mad. Ordered my laptop from Bestware yesterday and now they're offering 200 euros off it today.

4. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those screws hold the keyboard, and do need to come out. There might also be 2 screws underneath the keyboard on the top side. Sometimes they're put in, sometimes not.

5. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! Figured it out when the bottom wouldn't pull apart :p No screws needed to come out from the top art though, so at least this model does not seem to have them (MC 1520). Still curious about what the second icon represents...

On a side note, just installed the Crucial P1 SSD, and didn't know if installing their software etc. was needed for the trim functions, etc. (Which also led me to think if the WD that comes inside also doe snot have any software...)

An last curiosity, new SSD was identified by windows as disk *0*, and the other pre-installed one as disk *1*. I'd have thought it would be the other way around...

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 8356 is a good deal but for now ;) we have the OLED models for now.

7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, my new loaded PB51RF-G arrived today!

Smashed out a quick Firestrike run: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36465813?
    For the time being, the SSD has been transplanted directly from my P650RP6-G which is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC v1809. Thus performance will not be as good as a proper clean install would be and I haven't tried any overclocking yet (just reset Throttlestop and put in a -110mv undervolt).

I've got a 1TB 970 EVO Plus on the way at which point I'll do a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise v1903 and install Pop OS onto the old SSD.

Here's a list of my thoughts in no particular order:
    • Performance is obviously off the bloody planet. The poor 7700K in my desktop is put to absolute shame.
    • The RTX2070 out of the box pulls a very respectable 19K GPU score in Firestrike (link above).
    • The fans are actually almost dead silent at idle which is pleasantly surprising. However, you REALLY need to have good CPU clock profiles and management because...
    • When the fans do spin up, they're quite LOUD. That being said, I can only barely hear them (at 100%) if I have headphones on at a reasonable volume. Using better headphones or in-ears you wouldn't hear them at all.
    • The fan curves are much more aggressive than previous generations. The curves seem to target CPU and GPU temps of 80C so they will hit 100% quite easily.
    • 144hz screen on a laptop is the greatest thing I've been waiting for (I've used high refresh on my desktop for years). 60hz is just broken compare to this, I'll never go back!
    • Haven't tested Thunderbolt3 yet or the DisplayPort options.
    • Per-Key lighting is nice, but I ended up just setting it to flat blue at low-ish brightness so that it's not distracting.

I do have one problem though:
    This may be due to using a transplanted Windows Install, but for the life of me I cannot get the Audio Jack Detection to work properly with a 4-pole head-set.

On standard Windows drivers, I get the popup asking whether a headset or headphones are plugged in and regardless of what's selected it only plays out of the speakers.
    On Realtek drivers (direct from Clevo), The headset detection works, but only the headphones have output. The Microphone doesn't work at all and only picks up the integrated mic.

It's not a huge deal since I use a USB DAC anyway (which works great with my 4-pole headset). But the onboard DAC is actually pretty good and would free up the USB port if I could get it working properly.

a_bolog likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Worth checking that out first on a clean install with the factory audio drivers.

9. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone have experience with Gentech? Planning on ordering from them this weekend. Not sure which TIM combo to get but otherwise I think I'm set on a build with 2x8GB RAM, 500GB 970 EVO, 1TB HDD for $1750 which is the best deal out of all the resellers.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    They are a partner of ours and good people, they would be your first port of call for an issue but if something happens we can help too.