*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    See how the paste on the heatsink is perfectly rectangular? That's the sign it was put there by machine.

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could use it externally, but yeah, anything internal is limited to 5mm or 7mm.
    What Meaker said. If you were to see the compound before the laptop gets used, it's flattened and perfectly shaped to the die, not a line or blob pumped out of a syringe.

walterg74 likes this.
  3. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So... since some of die has no paste, did the machine “slip”..? (also with that much paste I take it was not calibrated all that well in regards to amount?

4. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got it.

I just did mine as recommended, Line for cpu and cross for gpu, but tried a few games and I still see the 90s/high 90s mark as peak...

I know this is just a peak and the average is still pretty OK, but:

1: what can I use to graph out the temperature over time?

2: besides having done this re-paste, what else can I try to maintain the temperatures at a better level?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI afterburner can graph over time.

Thermal pad adjustment is something you can look at using 0.5mm and 1mm pads to replace all but the thickest pads. It looks like some uneven pressure is going on if you look how one end of a pad has deep impression marks but the other side looks clean.

walterg74 likes this.
  6. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1: XTU, HWInfo, MSI Afterburner all have graphs

2: Undervolting can lower the temps alot with no risk.My undervolt lowers the temps more than the actual repaste does. Use XTU or Throttlstop, preferably Throttlestop.

walterg74 likes this.
  7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @walterg74 - Either Meaker has more free time than I do, or he's got faster fingers (maybe both) since he keeps beating me to your questions. ;)

Yep, undervolting and replacing thermal pads can make a difference. And of course, try to keep the system on a hard, flat surface, slightly elevated (about an inch). It's not ideal, but remember you can also max the fan speed with FN and 1 (on the number row).

It sounds like you're doing the repaste right, so I'd start looking at those other suggestions for improvement.

8. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Has there been much discussion about the airflow on these machines?

I was playing with one that overheated into thermal throttling at stock. But then propping up the back dropped the temps by like 12C (From peaking above 97C down to mid 80s). It seems like the rubber feet completely block airflow from the back and sides and the front is extremely low clearance.

Besides getting a laptop stand I kind of wonder if cutting out the middle of the feet could help drop temps. Because I've never seen a laptop have a difference this large when using a cooling pad, it's normally only a couple degrees.

9. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've thought about that, but I'm not too keen on causing damage a brand new expensive laptop. You really only need to lift it up a few mm or a 1/4 inch or so. I wonder if there's some sort of hard rubberized tube or something that's the proper size, that we could measure, cut, and put into the rear screw holes to hold the back up. Something like the blue in the image I attached.

Attached Files:

10. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What are people using for the power profile and gpu overclocking profile? Does that “help”?