*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can test to get a good idea of temperatures and removing it to check the spread pattern. You can use a bit too much and be perfectly safe with standard paste too.

Spreading it yourself you don't know if you have air bubbles or not unless you use glass ;)

2. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’ve been using the 1520 mostly hooked up to an external monitor the past week. Should I keep the lid closed or open when gaming? I also have it on a cooler which hasn’t seem to have made much of a difference.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Open for cooling :)

4. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was thinking that too today lol. I’m interested to see how much my temps drop. Doesn’t the chassis vent a bit through the keyboard?

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes and heat naturally rises.

6. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    There are a few tiny holes in keyboard metal plate above the fans but they don't make any significant difference. You can test it yourself - run something like Prime95 or some game benchmarks like Forza Horizon 4 and see temps with lid closed or open using HWiNFO. Just make sure to disable the "Lid close action" in power options ;-)

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Close the lid and run an intensive program for a while, then lift the lid and see how warm your keyboard/screen is getting.

8. NotTechSavvy

NotTechSavvy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,
    Thank for the response. And sorry about the delayed reply.

I went ahead and checked other units, the flex seems to be an issue on all the PB50 units at MC. But that unit had more than a bit. There was severe backlight bleed and one of the trackpad keys also just popped off after a couple of hours of scarce use. Local MC techs said that policy is that PowerSpec units cannot be serviced or worked on in local MC and need to be sent to corporate for all repairs and such and that is a 2 week minimum wait. I didn't want to go through with a replacement this time and got a refund. They also mentioned that the new PowerSpec laptops they would advise against, as multiple people in my local have returned theirs due to various QC issues. I'll probably end up getting the PB51 from HID or Gentech, it'll be a couple of hundred extra, but the QC should be good. It is the wait of 2-3 weeks that's really bothersome. I do think if people get a good MC PowerSpec unit it is the best bang for buck out there though.

9. NotTechSavvy

NotTechSavvy Newbie

Reputations:
    That's awesome, I ended up refunding my unit as it had multiple QC issues. Although I noticed that the keyboard flex in the area I had is prevalent on almost all the units, it was just a bit more worse on the unit I had. I'll probably end up getting a PB51 from a reseller. I'm glad your 1520 worked out though, it's really good bang for buck. Btw, my local MC said they can't service or make a decision regarding RMA of PowerSpec units at local MCs and need to send it to their main office or something, just a heads if you ever need to get your unit serviced at at your local MC.

10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    I'm gonna make a crosspost of same benchmark results I got with my PB51ef from 17" version thread, since they basically have same hardware. This might be useful for anyone if they want to compare performance in games and not 3DMarks. I used games that have built-in benchmarks and use DX12. This is using latest 430.53 drivers. No undervolting or GPU overclocking and Clevo Control Center set to Performance.

Here's Division 2 in Ultra mode and DX12 (no changes to other settings):

[​IMG]

Here is Metro Exodus, using "Benchmark.exe" file in the game folder and using "Extreme" mode in benchmark:

[​IMG]

and this is Metro Exodus using "RTX" mode in benchmark:

[​IMG]

Here's also Forza Horizon 4 for anyone interested (this game currently can be played for $1 if you sub for Xbox Game Pass, it can be played on PC), with stock settings but Frame Rate set to "unlocked" and Vsync set to disabled (for some reason FH wanted to lock my FPS at 72 when using auto-detect so I just disabled Vsync and set Frame Rate to unlocked since it can clearly run faster):

[​IMG]

And this is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the demo that is free to download. All the options maxed out and enabled, including Ray Tracing Shadows and DLSS (leaving preset on "Highest" does not enable Ray Traced Shadows so I just set everything to max instead of using the presets):

[​IMG]

LanceAvion likes this.