*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Installing another ssd was easy enough. After examining the copper heatsink, do you only have to remove all of those screws mounting it to the pcb or are there other components you need to remove too?

2. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    You only have to remove screws next to numbers, the ones that hold GPU and CPU heatsinks and 2 screws which hold each fan. Each screw has a number next to it so it makes it easy to see which ones you need to remove. And you don't need to actually remove screws which hold heatsinks, just have to unscrew them completely and leave them in their sockets. The screws which you have to completely remove are 4 screws which hold fans (2 screws for each fan).

Also, you need to unplug fan connectors, each fan has a small white connector connecting it to motherboard. You don't need any tools, can just use your nails.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2019
  3. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great, thank you! I might attempt this at some point. How much of a drop did you see in temps?

4. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I did not make screenshots using programs like Prime95, GPU-z or anything that will put consistent load on CPU and GPU using stock paste but there was a drop by about 3-5C for both CPU and GPU. Of course if the stock paste application is pretty bad - you might see larger difference.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Or if your application is not quite right then you could see less/no difference.

6. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If done correctly, really worth it. I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and that has a spreader with it that makes applying the paste really easy.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Dont pre spread the paste, the heatsink should be able to do that as you put it on. Line for the CPU and X for the GPU.

B0B likes this.
  8. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Fun FACT: if you don't spread the paste manually - you cannot know whether you applied enough and whether the heatsink will spread it over all of the surface of GPU or CPU. Unless, of course, you buy heatsink made out of glass, but glass is a bad thermal conductor ;-)

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You'll know whether you applied enough or not one way or another... ;)

With enough experience/trial & error you can get a pretty good sense of how much to apply without pre-spreading.

B0B likes this.
  10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Maybe, but I prefer to not waste a thermal paste on "trials" (including on applying too much where heatsink just squeezes out a large amount of wasted paste) and do it right the first time ;-)

This is also why I am wishing that Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut would finally start appearing here, it should get rid of any such issues like wasted paste or not applying enough.