*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. NotTechSavvy

NotTechSavvy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's good to hear that your second unit is awesome. What kind of fan issues did you have on your unit btw? Also, when I went for a replacement they weren't as nice to me on offering stuff as they were to you. I guess if and when I go for a return they might offer some stuff. I figured my keyboard is weird as I don't remember noticing it on my previous two unit. Still hoping someone has advise about fixing/dealing with the same.

2. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't claim the price was the same for an identical configuration. I customized the GenTechPC unit to be roughly the price of the PowerSpec. I then explained the pros and cons of each, stating that the GenTechPC unit is a superior purchase.

That's true that you can repaste yourself, but I'd rather have my unit cover the LM application under the warranty than doing it myself. I hope it ends up being awesome too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The situation was a little unique. I bought a Helios 300 and it was overheating, when I returned it I decided to go for the 1520. The salesperson nudged me with saying they would install the extra stick of ram for free. That made my decision very easy.

The fan noise I’m not sure since the tech installing the ram noticed it, not me. He said it was a screeching noise that started on boot up and dissipated as the unit booted. They didn’t feel comfortable giving it to me so, they exchanged it and reinstalled the ram in another unit.

The two things I want to do still is install my 860 evo into the chassis instead of hooked up to an enclosure and repaste. I’m nervous to do it though because I’m not well versed in taking apart laptops. Been building desktops for years, but laptops have always been intimidating for me.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's likely it had a bad bearing which settled in when warmed up and at speed.

ManlyMcbeardface likes this.
  5. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    I have a slight bulge in the middle of keyboard above the right side of space key. I thought it was the ribbon cable which produces that but I folded it properly so it should not be pushing up. I guess there must be something else which prevents keyboard from laying flat on the metal plate underneath.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Have you laid the keyboard out on a flat surface to see if it is flat?

7. AlwaysSearching

AlwaysSearching Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Meaker, can you talk about the 8356? Like when it may be coming and any changes other than cpu?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Oh you mean the successor to it, nothing official from us just yet.

9. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What’s the consensus on repasting? Is it worth the hassle? If so, how difficult is it and what paste would you use?

10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Repasting is not difficult if you know how to use screwdriver. As to whether it is worth the hassle - you decide. For me it was worth it because I saw temperature drop without relying on unreliable methods like Throttlestop (no CPU is made the same so you are NEVER guaranteed a same voltage decrease as some others will be able to achieve) and because it gave me a chance to check how good the application of thermal pads was for components around the CPU and GPU.

As for thermal paste - I tried the Coolemaster Mastergel Nano, it was easy to spread and according to objective tests it seem to work well for a variety of situations:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-10.html
    Some people may recommend something else and generally they all should work well enough. One paste that I would not recommend is IC Diamond - it is harder to spread (spreading the paste evenly before applying heatsink is the only way to make sure the GPU and CPU have full coverage, using "blob in the middle" or drawing lines or crosses may leave spots not covered by paste) and there's a chance of scratching the CPU or GPU when spreading it due to high diamond content.