*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. walterg74

walterg74 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, so once I get all software installed, configured etc., would this "Throttlestop" be the one I need for all this undervolting I am reading about? Is this like a "must do" to keep this laptop running nice and cool? Besides my extra RAM stick I also ordered the Kryonaut paste just in case, not sure if I will need it or not, I guess I need to run a game and check with HWinfo or similar?

2. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They are all separate apps, it just installed all of them. If you click start and look through your apps you should see them all. FN Hotkeys is just a background service, that displays a message when using fn combos and switching some of the Clevo software settings, and enables the fn commands. CPU overclocking isn't available for these, so even if you download that app it won't work.

It is if you want to get the best temps, and thus prolong the life of your system. You can monitor your temps with the Clevo software, but HWinfo lets you see visual graphs and keeps track of min/max, averages, etc. It's up to you how you want to check temps.

3. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    3 days with the 1520. I’m very impressed with the cooling TBH. I have by unit on a cooling pad and I’m getting around 88c while playing Apex Legends. It seems like a lot of the issues with the 1510 have been fixed.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nice to hear you have some solid performance.

5. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did undervolt 140mv. This brought my temps down about 5 degrees. I tested with the laptop closed as we’ll and hooked up to a monitor. Really solid performance.

6. Ashlander

Reputations:
    I'm playing with some different settings in TS and noticed that changing my Turbo Ratio Limits (in FIVR) doesn't seem to be working. Is that locked on these or am I just missing something.

Also what exactly is the reasoning behind keeping the core and cache voltage offsets matched? I have a profile setup like @B0B suggested in his video (-250/-125) just to test, which didn't seem to be any more stable or cooler than the -150/-150mv I've been running. I'm just curious where this 'parity' rule of thumb came from, since it seemed to run stable enough with them set differently.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    There is the max turbo number in the bios.

8. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Hey if you’re referring to my last video I wasn’t recommending those settings for anyone and I definitely wasn’t talking about temps.

Vcore and cache/ring voltage was separated several generations ago for desktops and it’s been a feature for the tuning enthusiast ever since. Those who said they need to match are mistaken.

9. Ashlander

Reputations:
    I was actually bumping the min turbo up. I tried setting the 5 and 6 core turbo to 40 instead of 39, but the clock speed didn't change while running the 12 thread TS Bench. Again, I've got a good configuration already, I'm just experimenting and trying different things to see what effects they have on performance/temp, not necessarily intending to apply to my normal profile.

I wasn't trying them with the intent of running the laptop like that, just wanted to see how it ran since it was my understanding the Vcore and cache were supposed to match, or at least be close. Wasn't actually expecting better results then what I was already running with.

So it seems like the cache voltage is what usually causes the crashes, if you can safely drop the Vcore that far?

Would I be better off leaving my cache where it currently is, since it's at the "sweet spot" (stable at -150/-150), and dropping my Vcore further as far as it'll remain stable, vs keeping it matched?

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Then it could be a ampage limits.