*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TLMichaelScarn

TLMichaelScarn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's a fair summary. I'm happy with mine and have no more issues now that Speed Shift is set correctly. Repasting was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the keyboard ribbon cables re-seated. Very even core temperatures with Kryonaut and high temps in the very low 80s and low 70s for the CPU and GPU respectively during realistic gaming scenarios. It idles at around 39 with a 70 Fahrenheit ambient temperature. This is with the back propped up. So I'm satisfied with the thermal performance. Propping up the back is easy and something I do on all gaming notebooks anyway. FWIW the factory paste job looked fine to me but I'm sure Kryonaut helped some anyway. I have no discernible backlight bleed -- very pleased with that. No BSODs or even the slightest stuttering. The WD Black NVMe is plenty fast. Really the only thing you need to do is install dual channel RAM and repaste if necessary.

t7540 likes this.
  2. TLMichaelScarn

Reputations:
    I have one more question. Has anyone tried mirroring the display with an external monitor? If not, does someone mind checking something? I'm only able to select 60hz on the external (it's a 144hz monitor) and 144hz on the built in display when mirroring. When I have the external display on only, I can get the full 144hz. I have Discrete selected in the BIOS. Is this normal or a peculiarity to this laptop? I would like to have both the built in display and external monitor running at 144hz when mirrored, if possible. Can anyone help with this?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. ManlyMcbeardface

ManlyMcbeardface Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ended up going with the 2018 Helios 300 1060 for 999. Too good of a price to pass up.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It is a bit of a step down in build and performance though.

5. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For an extra $500 I definitely would have at least went with Microcenter's PB50. Would keep you relevant much longer than a 1060. That was my biggest driving factor.

6. hoyhey

hoyhey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In the nVidia control panel, you can select "Change Resolution" menu. Once there you can change the refresh rate. You can have both running 144hz (duplicate) or either one running 144hz (show only 1 or 2). Make sure you connect via display port.

7. TLMichaelScarn

Reputations:
    The resolution options are greyed out for the external display. It shows 1980x1020 144hz in grey, but it's actually running at 60hz. I see no clear way to change it. I'm using the mini display port. Any idea what's up? It's pretty important to me to be able to run the built in display and an external at 144hz. When I try to change it through display settings in Windows I get an error message.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  8. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wasn't having any luck with the Kryonaut, so I tried using the CoolerMaster MasterGel Nano, which from the comparisons I've seen is pretty close. Results were alot better. Max temps during the first run in Firestrike were 78 and 65 for the CPU and GPU (which coincidentally is exactly what @jtm48 got with Kryonaut), with a score of 17,053. Seems to be generally 82/70 in subsequent runs after. Considering my max temps before, with the Kryonaut, were something like 90 and 85, I think this is alot closer to where I should be.

Here are my temps for a few different games, with the stock paste/voltage, after -150 UV, and then with UV/repaste, and with the Balanced/High Perf power plans selected. These are the averages over 5-10 minutes after the temps seemed to 'get up to temp' and stabilize. This is all with the fans on auto, the Control Center profile set to "Performance" (not to be confused with the High Performance power plan below), and the laptop laying flat on the table.

[​IMG]

I also attached the Excel sheet incase anybody wants to use it for similar comparisons of their own systems.

Attached Files:

t7540 and Master Stewie like this.
  9. hoyhey

hoyhey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Never encounter this before. Maybe try running only on external monitor first? See if it can run at 144hz. Try testing on other laptop as well if you have.

10. hoyhey

hoyhey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That is actually quite good consider it is laying flat. Mine even with UV, LM pasted, propped, got around 78C for CPU and 83 for GPU (it thermal throttles at 83C). So far from results posted, my GPU is running hotter than others :( I suspect the seller did not apply LM on GPU or did not apply properly. I haven't disassembled it to check though.