*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TLMichaelScarn

TLMichaelScarn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. Will have to figure out what’s going on.

2. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Retest in dedicated GPU mode, not mshybrid.

What happens then?

3. TLMichaelScarn

TLMichaelScarn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I applied the same GPU OC as he mentioned and my score went from 6880 to 7700. Dedicated GPU mode in BIOS. Also just got 17510 in Fire Strike for anyone curious.

EDIT: But that shouldn't make such a huge difference, so I figured something else was going on. Enabled Speed Shift - EPP and set the value to 0. Then I got a 7500 with no GPU OC. Apparently having Speed Shift unchecked caused over a 500 point reduction somehow. But now the CPU never ramps down from 3900 mhz. What should I do?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What power plan are you using? Max performance should keep the CPU at full clocks while balanced will reduce it.

5. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what my problem is, but I can't get a Kryonaut repaste to work. On my second tube, and no matter how I apply it, I'm consistently getting a couple degrees warmer then I was with the stock paste. I am cleaning the **** out of everything, and tried dots, lines, spreading, etc, and always have a good contact and spread on both CPU and GPU, so I cannot figure out what the issue is.

Between this and trying to get the top bolt out of the starter on my car I'm about at my wits end right now.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your reseller maybe had the magic touch when installing to get it sitting perfectly. Are you pressing down evenly on the heatsink and tightening the screws in the correct order?

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    It may not be a genuine Kryonaut ;-) Seriously though, not everyone had good results with this paste, you can find stories through Google where using Kryonaut increased temps for various users.

8. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got it directly from you guys so presumably the cooling system hasn't been touched since it left Clevo. I am tightening in the correct order, I'll try holding the heatsink down evenly as I tighten next time. Is there any chance the isopropyl isn't evaperating completely out of the imperfections on the die and HS? Never heard of that happening, but only think I can think of. If it doesn't improve after another try I'm just to try a different paste I think.

That's weird that it works so well for most people but makes the temps worse for a few. Surely it must be some user error that they aren't admitting or realizing.

@jtm48 Can you post a screenshot of your temps from a Firestrike run so I can compare? Curious how far off my temps are from yours.

9. jtm48

jtm48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got mine from LittleCoolingStore on Amazon. Apart from that I did not touch the thermal pads, used 100% isopropanol and made sure the metal was completely clean before doing a spread paste with the spatula. I used an excessive amount. I then made sure to place the heat sinks directly into place before screwing them back in snuggly.

10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    This does not apply to the cases where users repeatedly tried to apply different paste between their Kryonaut attempts and repeatedly got lower temps with different paste.

Besides, it is really hard to screw up something while applying thermal paste (at least the non-conductive one), the performance will NOT get worse regardless of type of application or even if you'll use too much of it. Only way to screw up with non-conductive paste is to apply too little of it ;-)
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3346-thermal-paste-application-benchmark-too-much-thermal-paste