*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think something like some little flip out feet under the back would work nice. Lay flat most of the time. Flip back feet down when extra cooling is Needed. Plus double as an ergonomic improvement. Really don't know why manufacturers haven't started doing this yet.

2. jtm48

jtm48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I put my old coolermaster notebook fan underneath. Drops temps in Witcher 3 so that the GPU is stable at 70C and CPU is maxing around 87-88 but average around 82-84, no throttling. I ticked up the overclock on the GPU to 150/100 and its stable, running at around a constant 1620mhz with 7100mhz memory clock. I will probably try to repaste with Kryonaut still and look for further improvement.

3. Ashlander

Reputations:
    I'm doing Kryonaut and Fujipoly today, whenever the pads arrive. I've got an excel sheet made up for the stock, undervolt, and repasted temps for a few games. I'll post it up when I'm done.

AlexusR likes this.
  4. AlexusR

AlexusR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This laptop should be drawing air through keyboard too - you can see large air intakes once you remove the keyboard. Or is it too restrictive for that?

5. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How it works, I don't know :p. The laptop of my son also raises when you open the screen. I believe the top model Asus also raises (or the back opens up) when you open the screen.
    An open notebook stand in that case. Mine is closed and only raises the laptop. Works for an ultrabook, not for a gaming machine.

6. Ashlander

Reputations:
    I think that's the idea, but the bottom of the keyboard doesn't seem to have any ventilation, so I'm not sure how much it actually helps.

AlexusR likes this.
  7. AlexusR

AlexusR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Then that is clearly a design flaw. Would be no need to raise laptop or use pads if it could also suck air through keyboard.

8. Ashlander

Reputations:
    After a second look, there are some small holes in the underside of the keyboard, which I presume is intended to be for the airflow.

9. gasol1

gasol1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, did you purchase the additional 16gb ram from Microcenter as well?

I am considering this unit as well as the Eluktronics Mech G2 or Acer Triton 500. This has the 2070 and is a little thicker. Are you happy with it?

Thank you.

Jim

10. jtm48

jtm48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased my second memory module on amazon, Crucial 16GB, 260-pin SODIMM, DDR4 PC4-21300 for about $90, which was recognized without issue by the system. There was a noticeable improvement in frame rates in a few games I ran afterwards. Build quality, despite being primarily plastic is pretty good. I have noticed that when carrying around, the lid opens a tad, but it also isn't necessarily a major issue. I find it pretty portable, although I compare that to carrying around an alienware 17R3 that I used prior.

I've acclimated to the keyboard fairly quickly and it is quite comfortable to use, as is the touchpad and the left and right click buttons. Battery life is about 3 hours with battery manager and 25% brightness while watching youtube constantly. Its nice that the battery can easily be swapped out for a different pack if you happen to be carrying around an extra. The screen is quite nice, although compared to my surface, its not as bright and whites aren't quite as white. It has a 500GB Western digital black NVME which is super fast.

It feels rather compact and I can move it around comfortably with it in one hand from room to room with screen open and having it not flop around. Edging out around 17150-17250 consistently in Fire Strike now. The fans aren't particularly bothersome to me and if you so choose, you can play games without headphones on and still be able to comprehend in game dialogue, etc (although not as well).

I also considered those laptops, but I really wanted a SD card reader and preferred having a full-fledged RTX 2070 over a Max Q. I haven't had a chance to look at those models in person, so I wouldn't be able to make the comparison. Not having windows hello or a fingerprint really doesn't matter to me. The lack of thunderbolt 3 is a bit dissapointing, although I personally don't really need since I prefer to use my monitor with my desktop.

I'm pretty happy with it. I am a bit paranoid about hitting 90C in a laptop on the CPU (although I know the majority of thin and lights have that issue), which is why I'll re-paste the CPU and GPU. I would say it is definitely a good deal. The idea of being within about 30 to 40 miles of a store and be able to have it serviced if need be is appealing if that so happens to be your case as well.