*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jtm48

jtm48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just purchased the 1520 powerspec and can vouch that it only has USB C and not thunderbolt 3. It also lacks the option to use windows hello and there is no fingerprint scanner in the touchpad. Also, it comes stock with 1x 16GB Goldkey RAM module.

I installed an additional 16Gb RAM module, undervolted 125mV in throttlestop, set a 120mhz GPU overclock with their control center software. Getting scores of 7587 in Timespy and 16706-17150 in Fire strike.

Temps are in the 70 to 80 range for the CPU during 3D mark but I've noticed when running Witcher 3 on maxed settings that the CPU will reach temps of 90-95 and hover around there. GPU stays in the high 70s.

2. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine does not have the lightning bolt symbol the either USB-C port, but it does show up as TB3.

3. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for saving me a trip. What is the build quality like? Plastic or is any of it metal?

4. jtm48

jtm48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its built pretty well. The entire body is plastic but doesn't flex. The lid feels like aluminum while the bezel and hinge appear to be plastic. You can remove the battery pack without opening up the laptop (62Wh). The hinge is very sturdy and the screen stays in place while typing. Screen does not flex and its balanced well to open with one finger. The only tiny thing I notice is when squeezing the laptop in the bottom right corner that it creeks a little as the bottom panel and top panel are not in perfect contact in that area of the chassis (not noticeable in standard usage though. Very easy to get inside and take it apart.

5. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here

6. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ll cover this in the review, but prop it up and you’ll get better thermals and acoustics.

Slight design flaw on these that’s easy enough to fix.

7. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looking forward to your review!

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's true of any notebook, people would complain if it had 1.5 inch high rubber on the back ;)

9. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I wouldn't mind if they include someting like a keyboard to put it up a bit (lets say 1-1,5cm) for better cooling when playing. I always have put a laptopstand or a book under my laptops for better airflow.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Something like a keyboard to prop it up? How would that look? Any notebook stand without fans will work well.