*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The easiest way to check it to compare vent positions and port layouts. If they match it will be the same.

2. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my replacement today. Shoutout to @Larry@LPC-Digital for getting me sorted out.

I've only got SOTTR and Firestrike installed so far. I was getting pretty low frame-rates until I restored the High Performance power plan that always seems to be missing in fresh Win10 installs nowadays. Now I'm getting very good results. SOTTR benchmarked at 76fps on Ultra. Getting 90-100 fps in the same scenes/areas I was getting 70s in with the refreshed Scar 2 (namely the crowded areas of Cozumel at the beginning). Best Firestrike score is 17,194. These results are all with G-Sync on, stock undervolt, and single channel RAM.

With the stock voltage I got a FS score of 17,004. My temps tended to stay under 80c during Firestrike. Highest was probably 82-83c, even with the stock voltage.

FS1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Turn g-sync off for benchmarks as it messes with the results.

raz8020 and scarletfever like this.
  4. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The difference between dual and single-channel is huge. Check the timings on the 2666 and the 3000-ram. Since Clevo allows for use of XMP you might be able to run the 2666 at higher speed than the 3000 is timings on the 3000 is lax. Tweaking a 2666cl16 to higher speeds than a 3000cl19 is usually no problem. Running at stock the 2666 might be faster even in single-channel.

In my setup I changed the timings from 2133cl15 to 2400cl14 and reduced a few subtimings. Result: At medium\high settings fullHD ROTTR benchmark went from 102 to 115 fps avg :)

A test of single vs dual-channel:
    look at 5.12 for results. It`s interessting to see that in syntetic benchmarks, the difference is very little, but it games it is often huge. Basically in some games using DC equals getting a faster GPU compared to SC. It`s terrible that so many companies ship their gaminglaptops with only one ram stick :/

5. Sabin17

Sabin17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting that they're advertising it as having a 100% sRGB panel. If that's really the case, then the question is: is there a vendor out there doing that for U.S. consumers for this model? I'd really like to know.

6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice scores!
    Are the fans any louder or less loud with the new model?
    Just trying to see if fan noise is the same across every unit.
    I’m gueesing with dual channel you’ll see much better scores.
    Are the RAM slots easy access or behind/under the keyboard?

7. Ashlander

Reputations:
    I tried with it off in Nvidia control panel as well, but there wasn't much difference. Strange things is when in the Optimus mode, the Firestrike score is roughly the same, maybe slightly lower, but in SOTTR I'm only getting 35-50fps. Any thoughts what this might be due to? It's not running with the iGPU, as I checked that already.

The fans seem about the same, maybe a little quieter. They don't bother at all, even when they spin up since they have a lower pitch sound to them. The RAM is under the bottom panel, not under the keyboard, BUT there are two screws under the keyboard required to get the bottom panel off (see my earlier post for pics). You could probably just leave those two screws out. This one didn't even come with them installed, they were just included in a bag labeled "top screws". Still not sure what the purpose of them is. Also, still not sure with the little blue adhesive square is for.

Dual channel will see better scores for sure, but I'm pretty happy with the single channel performance already.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Not sure on the score difference without digging in and doing testing. I assume you are in dedicated mode via the bios (disabling the igp completely)?

9. Ashlander

Reputations:
    That's right. In dedicated mode everything is fine. It's MSHybrid/Optimus mode that it seems to be benchmarking fine, but the in-game fps is much lower (35-50 vs 90-100 with iGPU disabled). Still don't have anything else installed yet, so I can't tell if it's just the one game or not. I'll be keeping it in dedicated mode 99% of the time anyway, so it doesn't really effect me much, just think it's weird.

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Dual channel makes a massive difference. This is just one of many examples:

raz8020 likes this.