*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where can we get new batteries? I need a new one as well. Mine dies at about 94% when not plugged in for some reason.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your reseller or a different local one.

3. Ashlander

Reputations:
    Say we don't have any local resellers and the one I bought from is unresponsive?

I suppose Microcenter counts, they might be able to get one since they still carry the 17" in store I think.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I do mean local as in the same continent.

5. metacarpus

metacarpus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I couldn't wait any longer and pulled the trigger on a PB51DF1-G. The laptop hasn't arrived yet, but I have a few questions while I wait for it!

Getting a G-sync panel was absolutely mandatory, and there's **still** no 15" clevos with RTX30 series that support it in Q2 of 2021.... Also, this appears to be the last model to offer 2.5" bay for my Samsung SSD. With newer models going all m.2 for the 15" chassis? I rather not carry around external enclosures or migrate all my data to a QLC m.2.

After reading all 124 pages, I gathered the following issues may be relevant to me:

- There's an MUX switch, but I can set it to dGPU only in the BIOS. Does this mean I don't have to install the Intel UHD Graphics Driver at all? I rather not have 2 GPU control panels in my right-click menu, bloating up my background processes. Another person some pages ago mentioned being permanently stuck in dGPU mode and unable to boot, but I didn't find a solution to that in the end. This worries me a little...

- Max RAM speed for this machine seems to be stuck around 3200MT/s. I don't know what timing the samsung sticks it comes with will have, as it was not listed on the configurator when I purchased it. I'm assuming they'll be a terrible CL22. Comments in this thread suggest Corsair Vengeance CL16 will not run on this laptop, because it requires XMP? What's the best 3200 CL speed that will work then? Hyper X Impact CL20? Maybe not worth the extra cost for just 2 steps faster. Would like to drop it to at least CL18 while maintaining the MT/s.

I have some other thoughts but I guess I'll save those for when it arrives.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If you don't want to use a QLC use a TLC or MLC m.2. there are plenty of options. In dedicated mode the Intel drivers will not load but your idle power penalty for keeping the GDDR alive is far worse than having the panel active.

7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is exactly what I do. I've left my machine in dGPU mode and never installed the Intel drivers. In my case it's simply because I'm not away from a power point for long periods.

From what I've found, the differences in RAM speed are hardly worth worrying about. Ram overclocking seems much too twitchy compared to your usual desktop ram overclocking.

8. metacarpus

metacarpus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Edit: Seems currently Sabrent Rocket is the only TLC m.2 drive that will fit my entire 4TB 2.5" 860 Pro. I thought they made the 4TB only for the QLC variant. My bad.
    In terms of penalty for going dGPU only, do you mean electric bill penalty? That's not really a concern if so. Or do you mean wear on the nand chips, leading to significantly lower lifespan?

I guess what worries me is CL22 is 0.7ns, when I'm used to 0.51ns on my old ram. Not sure if an extra 1k MT/s will make up for the snappiness in applications like heavy 3D scene orbiting and 4k video scrubbing in Premiere.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  9. Ashlander

Reputations:
    Just fyi, the Sabrants are great drives. I got one in my BP51, and recommend them every chance I get. I'm definitely getting the gold PCIe 4 one in my next machine, I think they're one of the fastest m.2s on the market atm.

metacarpus likes this.
  10. JustK

JustK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm about to blow your mind, chief.

Click HERE to download a piece of software from INSYDE (you may recognize them) called H2OUVE UEFI Variable Editor. After you extract all the files, you want to run H2OUVE-W-GUIx64.EXE

After the program opens, click on FILE at the top left, and then select LOAD RUNTIME. This will load the BIOS you are currently running on your laptop.

Within the left hand panel, you want to click on the YELLOW button titled SETUP. This opens the BIOS to the main menu within the INSYDE H2O SETUP EDITOR. You may now change settings in your BIOS from here just like you normally would when accessing the BIOS on system boot...but now you can access a special door that will open up into a magical world. Follow me a inside! I promise, I won't bite.:)

Select ADVANCED from the list of categories on the left, and then go into ADVANCED CHIPSET CONTROL.

You will now see an option you've never had access to before. It's titled, SETUP MENU INSYDE FULL SHOW. Right now it's set to HIDE.

Change it to SHOW.

Almost there...

Select EXIT on the left side.

And finally, click on SAVE CHANGE WITHOUT EXIT.

UN

BIOS

BOOM

CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM

LOOK AT ALL THOSE SETTINGS...drool...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    metacarpus and 4W4K3 like this.