*** Official Clevo PB5xExx(-G) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 7, 2019.

1. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, here I am necroposting on this thread but I ran into a weird issue today and I'm really not sure wtf is going on. I have a Powerspec 1520... About a week ago I had the secondary M2 SSD crap out in here but I had not removed it yet. I have started getting an error on rebooting from RivaTuner so I went ahead and downloaded the updated version of MSI Afterburner and installed it for the updates with RivaTuner. I rebooted, and... Nada. It gets to a black screen that says PowerSpec on it. When I restart, I can hold F2 all day long and it doesn't even think about going into the BIOS. And 3 unsuccessful boots don't take me into any sort of windows recovery or anything. I'm flailing a bit here. Not sure if there is a way to maybe reset the bios or what. The LCD keyboard comes on, fans are blowing, so it makes it seem like it has gotten to some point... And even hitting FN+1 will kick it into max fan mode. Is it in some sort of eternal sleep mode or something that I can't wake it from? I tried attaching a second monitor to the HDMI to see if that was an issue but nothing. I'm stumped quite honestly. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: hitting ctrl-alt-delete makes the 'PowerSpec" that is sitting on the screen go away for a few seconds and then come back. I have tried Fn-F7 and FN-F2 and neither of them seems to do a thing either. The C-A-D really makes me wonder though. That seems suspicious.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  2. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    Have booted it with no boot drive attached. Same behavior. Can't get into bios, control alt delete makes the words disappear temporarily. I'm stumped and I am fearful because I see no signs of a CMOS reset button or a battery on this side of the motherboard and I'm not thrilled about the concept of removing everything to flip the motherboard just to reset the damn CMOS. Which seems like a flaw in planning TBH.

3. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try holding "Fn + D" while turning on the machine. That's the soft-reset key combo for the CMOS.

If you need to get to the battery, I vaguely remember it being accessible under the keyboard (which has to come out when disassembling the PB50 anyway). It's been a while since I pulled mine apart. Just make sure you're careful with the keyboard ribbon cables when you poke it out of the chassis.

eboe likes this.
  4. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is available under the keyboard. Easy peasy.

eboe likes this.
  5. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    I didn't have to take out the keyboard when I took the case off... I don't know how I would remove it. The case is currently unscrewed. How do I take it out? Also, I've tried the Fn+D and Fn+B and it just goes back to that screen where it sits with the brand name and won't advance. Someone else had a problem that sounded similar but I could not find a post where they said how it got resolved. I'm gonna see if I can find someone posting how to take out the keyboard without taking out the motherboard. That would be very helpful, lol.

6. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    Took off the keyboard after finding a video in which it was removed. Discharged the CMOS and booted up, got the message about it being a first boot etc, but then went right back to the same screen. FN+D still takes me back to that screen. F2 on reboot does not take me into the bios. Could there be a bios problem? I saw a mention of Fn+B doing something during boot but all it does is keep it from going to the brand name screen and then it ramps the fans up in some strange way, and I just have to power cycle. I can't imagine it being a BIOS issue and the FN+1 key combo working. The LED keyboard is even lighting up with my saved color pattern, which makes me wonder where that is saved? I am truly truly stumped as to what is happening here.

7. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, now I have also tried booting from an external DVD drive. It doesn't even get to spin up before the screen with the manufacturer comes up. Oh and I should mention maybe that the discrete graphics rather than hybrid had been enabled in the bios so the indicator light is on for that, the solid green light all the way on the right hand side. The only other light is the power light, solid green on the far left as I have the battery pulled because the back is unscrewed and just popped on.

8. eboe

eboe Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, as a last ditch effort I tried something I should have done before admittedly and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I took out all the components I added to it (1tb NVme drive that had not worked for over a week, 1tb hybrid SATA drive, and 16gb of RAM). And it booted. So I readded piece by piece, and it booted with the RAM. Added the SATA drive, and it wouldn't boot. Removed the SATA drive, and out of curiosity added the NVme drive back in, and it booted up just fine. So for a week and a half the NVme drive was missing while the SATA drive still worked, now the SATA drive is dead and the NVme works. I tested the SATA drive external and it would not even install so it clearly is bad. The weird thing is it keeping the machine from booting, and it making the NVme drive disappear for a week. Thanks for all of your help.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Both are controlled by the chipset so could have been messing with that. Not the first time I have seen/heard of a data drive preventing booting.

10. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's entirely possible for a drive to halt booting. It often happens if the controller on it fails, which causes it to not respond, or throw garbage data when probed on initial boot-up.