*** Official Clevo PA71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by LeiEn, May 19, 2018.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you re-installed xtu or tried one version back?

2. Sivert Olsen

Sivert Olsen Newbie

Reputations:
    Brand new owner of a PA71ES-G and having some issues.

Windows won't show 144hz as an option at all. With HybridMS mode, it shows 60hz. With 1070 as the main GPU it shows 75hz. Nothing else. Can't get it to run 144hz. Is there something wrong with my screen/laptop? Has anyone else run into this problem?

And with the laptop sitting on a desk, not angled up from it I guess its fair that the CPU throttles due to heat?
    If the 144hz thingie is a defect in the laptop I'm prolly just gonna return it and buy something else.

3. Sivert Olsen

Sivert Olsen Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: Talked with a brother of a friend who has the same laptop. He's got 144hz running without issues. Windows set 144hz as standard refreshrate after he installed windows and the drivers. So taking a big educated guess that my screen is not working, or is the wrong SKU.
    Already emailed the company asking for support/advice. Prolly just end up returning it if they can't do anything about it.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Check a program like hwinfo to get the panel model.

5. Sivert Olsen

Sivert Olsen Newbie

Reputations:
    The sticker underneath says PA71ES-G. But HWInfo and other hardware readers says its a PA70ES.
    Which is really really odd. The thermals are also really getting to me. Always runs super hot 90+ C on the CPU. Playing F76 with CPU @ 25% utilization, and GPU @ 50-60% utilization.
    GPU starts around 60c and creeps up and over 70, which is okay. But I really dont like the heat on the CPU. Even though its a 8750H.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The 1 or 0 is a cosmetic choice on the case while the motherboard etc is identical so logically they report the same.

7. Boseph McGee

Boseph McGee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 8750H is a monster that needs to be tamed. It cannot just be run straight out of the box, it needs to be tuned. Watch this clip about how to use ThrottleStop to do just that.

Edit: I guess this isn't a YouTube-friendly forum, so just search for the channel 'bobofalltrades' the video title is: 'Address that HOT i7 8750h!'

Then go and purchase a Clevo Fan Control software that Obsidian-PC has in active development. It's worth every penny.

https://code.obsidian-pc.com/clevo-software/fan-control/

These two software packages are must-haves if you own a PA71ES-G. Otherwise, you have a hot mess on your hands.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    John@OBSIDIAN-PC likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Any TDP limited chip is going to enjoy tweaking.

9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thanks for the support, by the end of this month (when we finish setting up the website with the new models and when we finish our new website portal/landing page) we will continue the development of the apps. We have a lot which we are adding, specially on Fan Control and specially for systems with shared coolers.

nealios likes this.
  10. Mashreef Ahmed

Mashreef Ahmed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would like to know the thermal result of i7 8750h after undervolting
    anyone out there?