*** Official Clevo P970Ex Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Mr.Jones

Mr.Jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My reseller (GenTechPC) said liquid metal does not need to be repasted during the life of the laptop. I found information to contrary, after disassembly, sure enough the contrary information was correct. After a year the liquid metal had "dried up" for lack of a better term. After LM repaste performance is looking much better and now temps are more in line with temps other forum members have posted.
    The overheating I experienced under earlier versions of the BIOS/EC and/or Clevo Control Center with their more conservative fan curves may have contributed to this.

The information I read elsewhere said '...due to laptops having lower heatsink mounting pressures in comparison to desktop cpu heatsinks, can lead to higher oxidation and so forth from air'. Thus requiring more frequent repastes, although mileage may vary.
    Nevertheless, I'm pretty jawdropped at the drop in temperatures even while under load during gaming sessions.

**Sadly, the keyboard ribbon connector in this laptop is a ***** to reconnect. Couldnt properly lock the collar back down. (Realized later, the connector is not like the other ones on the board, the ribbon goes in on the opposite side of the locking clip) Despite my years of experience with building computers and working with delicate ribbon cables and their connectors. I'm going to have to send it in for an RMA to replace the clip as it is not a readily available part. At least when I get it back, itll be running perfect.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    If the heatsink is not nickel plated copper, you'll need to reapply LM after a while due to chemical reaction between copper and gallium.

3. Mr.Jones

Reputations:
    Yeah I inquired from sager about that, and that it is just copper. I didnt know it was just part of the regular maintenance with liquid metal with this type of heatsink. Odd that the reseller would say it doesnt need to be reapplied.
    Thanks I probably will just monitor temps and when im back to 15C higher temps again Ill know its time to repaste

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just remember only a small amount is needed, better to need to apply a bit more in a few months than having it rolling around the board.

5. Mr.Jones

Reputations:
    Found out why I had trouble with the keyboard ribbon clip. Im sure everyone else will pay attention during disassembly so you know how everything reconnects, but FYI Ive never seen a ribbon clip that connected but locks on the opposite side. All other ribbon cables on the notebook do as normal, insert side is the same side as the locking collar side.But the keyboard ribbon, is different from the rest of the ribbon connectors.
    See Attached Image from the Clevo P970 Service Manual illustrating as such.

Attached Files:

6. Cintachs

Cintachs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all :hi:
    Looking at purchasing one of these with some updated specs within a month (When release) just wanted some long term feedback, who's had their laptop around a year or more? Does anyone strongly advise to keep looking? Is anything starting to wear out of the ordinary from daily use?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. Kimiki

Kimiki Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi im new here. I have some problem with my laptop. My warranty expired and they said repair cost 515$ (withouth shipping and labor)and i cant afford. My problem is bsod. Video dxgkrnl.sys fatal eror when playing games. Benchmark and some other tests are ok. I need help.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If the motherboard itself is damaged that's not a bad repair cost.

9. Kimiki

Kimiki Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know. I'm a student and i can't afford it. Laptop never opened before. Only i change the paste. (I bought it second hand and i can't contact with original owner ) Can they still replace the mobo ?

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Depends on the reason for the damage and warranty conditions (if it still has any left for example).

The other option is a Louis Rossman style repair shop.