*** Official Clevo P970Ex Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Given the similar TDP ratings it's going to be pretty similar thermally.

2. Mr.Jones

Mr.Jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Meaker@Sager question,
    Is it possible to find the release notes on the various BIOS/EC versions for the P970. I was wondering what changes have been made since I upgraded from the 1.07.06LS1 BIOS version to 1.07.09LS1 (LS1 I assume is the Sager version of the BIOS).
    I'm guessing the fan tables have been changed, as the laptop does not run as hot as it did previously. But I was also wondering if the turbo budget/tau timing had been changed at all.
    Despite not reaching high temps, the amount of time spent max turbo seems relatively short. ThrottleStop's 'Locking & Disabling Turbo Power Limits' seems to resolve this but also disables Clevo Control Centers ability to switch power modes; Which is handy when going mobile.

Any additional knowledge on this subject is appreciated. Despite the popularity of this model, there does not seem to be much discussion regarding this laptop online.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You are not going to find that level of detailed release notes I'm afraid.

4. VenturaFL

VenturaFL Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys.

I've owned a P970ED for a little over a year now I think, and so far I have been happy with it. Last night I experienced my first BSOD, and I didn't catch the exception, but it said there was an error with kbdclass.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

After some searching on Google I found that this is caused by an issue with the keyboard driver. I checked through the Control Panel, and my keyboard driver seems to be up to date.

So is this a known issue, and is there any known fix for this issue? Is it possible that this is due to a heat issue? I use ThrottleStop to mitigate heat issues.

Of note this is my 2nd Sager machine in a row, and this would be the second keyboard problem I've had with a Clevo chassis, but the customization options are a bit too good to pass up.

Any help, or information on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Edit : I'm running Win 10 64 bit.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  5. Mr.Jones

Reputations:
    I dont remember if kbdclass.sys was the file, but the only time I have seen the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen occur was when the computer was overheating (not sure if it was the earlier versions of clevo control center (e.g. v1.14) or the earlier versions of BIOS/EC but the fans would not ramp up enough at high temps) and could cause a blue screen.
    Or an CPU undervolt that was to low on voltage). I no longer have any of those issues, but it was never related to the keyboard.

6. VenturaFL

VenturaFL Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply!

I do undervolt by 1.25 mv as the i7 8750h CPU I have tends to run a bit hot without it. I'd also add that at the very moment that the BSOD occurred the computer was hot to the touch due to being under heavy workload, and I'm likely overdue to clean the insides as I've been in a desert for the last 4 months. So, heat does make sense, and is a likely possibility then.

Anyone else know for sure that it was the heat? Is it possible that a bad USB device could cause this? I'd think not, but a long shot?

Thanks again for the reply.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    CPU errors can spit out any kind of error code. Try reducing the undervolt a step.

8. Mr.Jones

Reputations:
    Maybe search online for stable undervolts for your processor. But I do know for the 9th gens 0.125V is a good standard undervolt that should work on most i7-9750H cpu's, although it does vary processor to processor. The i7-8750 being very similar, I would suggest what Meaker@Sager said, and see if that works. Ive seen the same BSOD for high temps and for an unstable undervolt.

When running high loads or gaming definitely have the fans running on max (FN+1 keyboard shortcut or through the clevo control center).
    *Note if your using XMP to undervolt, sometimes the voltage offset will revert to the stock offset (0) even though the app shows its applied. Throttlestop is more reliable for this function imo.

Given you have good ventilation, ever since I did the undervolt the surface by the laptops cpu fan side is no longer very hot to the touch nor the keyboard. An undervolt is a must on these high-performance mobile cpu's. A stable undervolt increasing performance/decreasing temps with no cons is a no-brainer. A notebook cooler goes a long way for the P970 given all the vents on the bottom of the laptop. I got close to a 10F degree drop in temps.
    If your a gamer, undervolting the RTX Maxq GPU using MSI Afterburner gives even better improvements in performance (GPU performance at the level of a desktop RTX 2060) and temps (20C lower) at the same time.

Off Topic: I wish there was more discussion online maybe in the form of forum threads about this model of laptop.

9. VenturaFL

VenturaFL Newbie

Reputations:
    I've tried a new undervolt with a reduction as Meaker has suggested, and I'll continue to monitor the heat. So far there's not been anymore issues with BSODs.

Thank you both for the help!

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Excellent, the voltage requirement will drift up slowly over time as CPUs age so bear that in mind.