*** Official Clevo P970Ex Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a PB51RF (RTX 2070 non max-q, i9-9980HK, 4k OLED) that died within a week after purchase. Maybe a bad VRM. Reseller could not get their hands on a replacement unit reasonably fast, so I got a P970RN (i7-9750H / RTX 2080 max-q) as a replacement unit as the price was identical. Ironically almost the same physical footprint as my older "15.6, just slightly wider.

After reading through this thread I was apprehensive, but my unit seems good in the fit and finish department. Cleaned off the stock gunk on the CPU/GPU really, really thoroughly (seemed to be some kind of dust or gunk left from the machining process as well, or maybe just oxidation) and applied thin layers of conductonaut. Still testing stability with undervolt, but at -100mv on core/cache and -50mv on igpu atm. Even with somewhat moderate fan profiles applied I can so far not force the CPU over 80c or the GPU over 70c. This in actual games such as FarCry 5 and Witcher 3, as well as synthetic stress tests. ~23c in the room back of the laptop slightly raised off of the table. Obviously, no sign of throttling.

It seems to run well so far. 3Dmark scores are slightly lower than with the PB51 whitch had a mild overclock. The PB51 ran a lot hotter though, even after repasting and undervolting. Will have to look more into tweaking and see if I can get some more out of it. If it continues to work as nicely as it has so far, this will be pleasant companion.

2. BraskSpain

BraskSpain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Can it be due to an uneven heatsink? When you say you applied thin layers you mean to cpu gpu and the heatsinks or only on the dies? Did you cover them with nail polish and super 33+ tape or just applied it risking spills?

if you can provide any more information it would be awesome as I have bought the Conductonaut but I have not risked my laptop repaste still as I only see 100 degrees on cores playing BFV

3. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He doesn’t report uneven core temps, only CPU/GPU temps.

I had the Clevo P970EF (RTX2070mq with i7-8750H and while the machine performed good, The biggest drawback was the temp of the keyboard. It became to hot to touch.

I have a Tongfang now (i7-9750H with full RTX2070) and this keyboard stays cool. In general this is also a very decent laptop. The keyboard and trackpad of the Clevo where better for productivity stuff.

4. M4cr0s

Reputations:
    1. Manufactorer suggest conductonaut is applied to both surfaces. Generally, my personal experience with gooping for the past 20 years since I OC'd AMD Durons and Athlons with the original Arctic Silver, have been: go thin, thin, but you have to cover properly. I've never "painted an X" or something like that, I take time and smear it thinly and evenly out with an old credit card or even butter knife. Clearly that is not necessary with conductonaut.

2. I said nothing about heatsinks being warped, except being dirty. You can see this easily when you clean them off and they appear clean, but if you scrub with a solvent, the paper towel or piece of cloth or whatever you use, continue to get dirty for a long time and gradually the copper becomes more polished and oxidation is removed. In reality, proper lapping and polishing could perhaps even get slightly better results, but its a PITA to do on such a complicated piece of heatsink (little room to work).

3. On my motherboard, both the GPU and CPU have some kind of black protectors. The GPUs was (I think) glued onto the PCB, while the CPUs was glued onto the heatsink. I considered using something to cover up the PCB on the CPU just to be sure. But I didn't quite know what to use. I don't know about nail polish, it's a soft acrylic and I think it would degrade quickly from the heat. In the end, unlike a lot of other CPUs I've seen, there's not a lot of stuff on the surface of the CPU PCB.

4. An interesting detail with the cooling solution of these machines, is that the screws are not spring-loaded as they normally are. Instead parts of the heatsink itself flexes and acts as springs. I'm actually more confident in this approach to get even pressure, and it's easier to modify if one wants more more pressure, by adding a small spacer between the screws head and the heatsink. Just make sure to tighten things down slowly and evenly. I would start with the screws around the CPU/GPU and go crisscross back and forth, and then do the outer ones afterwards (the other ones mostly push the cooling pads down onto the vrms and etc).

This pre-cleaning. Excess amounts of clearly seen.

[​IMG]

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A little extra paste has virtually no impact on performance and ensures contact, hence why the factory application comes with a bit extra.

6. M4cr0s

Reputations:
    You are in all likelihood totally correct and its better to be safe than sorry.

I am just speaking from personal perspective/experience which is certainly not an universal truth :) However, when one does see the CPU spike rapidly and unevenly in temps after doing it like me, something is probably wrong, so one can always turn off the machine and disassemble to check. It's different for someone selling these things retail.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes given the risk vs reward you are going to see resellers go on the heavier side.

M4cr0s likes this.