*** Official Clevo P970Ex Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the Clevo performance wise but because of the bend screen I will return it. The reseller says that almost all P970’s have this issue, so I don’t order a new one. Only other problem is the temperature of the keyboard, but that can be resolvee with an external keyboard (at home at least).
    So looking for other options...

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Bent screens common? Not that I'm aware of.

3. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    I couldn’t imagine that either, it is realy off 3-4mm in the center.
    I’ve asked a repair/replacement of the screen because I don’t trust a bended screen in the long run and it is bad for viewing angles. But I was told that it was common, so I decided to return it for a refund.
    The laptop workes great, so I would of kept it if I recieved a repair.

4. bodayw

bodayw Newbie

Reputations:
    Received mine with 9750H/2060 (NP8976) yesterday. (BTW I guess now we should add P970Rx to the title of this thread?)

Did a quick comparison test with 8750H from one of my friends, at 45 W sustained CPU package power with AIDA64 FPU stress only, there is no difference in the voltage and frequency (the 8750H had even tiny bit higher frequency but that's within the range of individual difference). Although this is just an n = 1 experiment, it's very likely the power efficiency stayed the same, as expected.

CPU temperature with stock thermal paste is already decent, with sustained 45 W at 78-80 °C.

Unfortunately I guess I will have to send the unit back for a repair, due to a defect in the keyboard. The Y key will be triggered by adjacent keys like 6, 7, T, U as well...So while I was tyyping tyhe tyexty above I had to correctyyyy tyhe tyyypos all tyhe tyime, otherwise ity will look like tyhis.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That sounds like an issue with the matrix of the actual traces that route the signals, bummer.

6. bodayw

bodayw Newbie

Reputations:
    So the technician from Sager agreed to send just a new keyboard to me with a deposit fee prepaid, so I can swap out the keyboard and send the bad keyboard back to them, instead of sending back the whole unit. Just swapped in the keyboard and now it seems working fine.

7. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    Great and quick fix.
    Customer service like it should.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That sounds ideal :)

9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    upload_2019-6-15_11-37-22.png

I havent done a thing but windows updated some stuff and nvidia drivers made this score go up.

this is just stock with underclock btw. the goal is the score is 17805 what 3d mark calls a 4k gaming machine because im going to put a uhd panel in it but will probably do a external screen

i would be interested in the 9750 scores

these are my real temperatures during 3dmark with fans on max and a mobile fan raising thing.
    there is a power limit throttle never a temperature limit ever its ready for the 2080 gtx as far as temperature.

upload_2019-6-15_11-57-16.png

Iwanted to add this

upload_2019-6-15_11-42-19.png

this came up because there are laptops that compete with this one with a g synch in the internal display.

I think gsync is largely useless but it may actually be really important in 4k gaming. regardless if a laptop has the external display driven by the gpu ( and most do this is just verifying it) it runs the external display in gsync so this shows the ports that run on gpu and the one that runs on igpu

there is the triton which doesnt h9ave optimus and asus has a mux to switch( which is better i cant deny) but all laptops have gsync ( that i know of but most importantly this one does, just on external display.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    eluktroniks now sell their 2070 max q laptop with software that automatically changes it from max q to max p if you plug in a 230 watt power supply.

but its not just that you literally do not need to change the vbios at all the new max q drivers just go to max p clock settings I can show you you may not even need any clevo software unless thier bios defeats it.

with no change at all mind you stock vbios afterburner now does oc scan and shows the 2070 clock speed from 1500 to 2100. check whats happening to other peoples 2070 maxq.

this could be very old news to you all but i just learned about it today

this will show the vbios is stock but the oc of max q now goes to over 2000 although it stays at 1845 which is probably the max p level.

upload_2019-6-15_12-14-28.png

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019