*** Official Clevo P970Ex Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It’s because the CPU is above (I believe) 40 degrees. I don’t think you can disable that. Matbe with Obsidian, but you have to pay for that.

skflsdkjfld likes this.
  2. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes it's true (GPU and CPU above) even if there's not any apparent reason (or updates).
    Thanks I hope maybe to find a free alternative of Obsidian like https://github.com/duguzuyang/RLECViewer

3. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    I don’t get it anymore. What is holding back my system? 8750h icm with RTX2070mq and 16Gb dual channel ddr4 2666 (Kingston hyperX).

Test FH4, pulls 21,5W out of CPU givingn 2400MHz, GPU is almost loaded to max, in power limit and on 1750MHz core/6330MHz mem while gaming. Runs at 87fps on highest settings.

Test Far Cry 5, pulls around the same (20-25 ish) Watt out ofCPU giving 2900MHz, GPU is only loaded for 60/70%, also power limit running 1750/6330Mhz. Runs around 75-78 fps on ultra with HD textures.

On both CPU 70 ish and GPU around 65 degrees on fan speed 53%, clevo center in performance mode. I’ve put the fan to max but the numbers are the same with lower temps and a lot of noise.

In reviews I see the same CPU pulling 45W in far cry 5 for instance.
    My machine also pulls 55W during Firestrike bench, firestrike ans cinebench results are on par with the other laptops with same hardware.

*old*
    I have a desk of Ikea and it is pretty much cardboard. When GPU fan is 25%, you can hear a low hummm.
    On my solid woodwn table you don’t have this.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    skflsdkjfld likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'd check your version of clevo control center and try removing it and trying again to see if there is a difference.

5. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    Didn't de-install clevo center, I don't think it is needed and I think I found it more or less.
    It looks like speedshift - epp that was holding the CPU, the reseller undervolted the CPU standard.

What I have found while playing Far Cry 5, ultra settings. The back is elevated around 3 cm to get some room for cool air.

Laptop: P970EF, i7-8750h, RTX2070mq, 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (CL15), with the graphit cooling pads on CPU and GPU.
    CPU core undervolt -125mV, CPU cache undervolt -100mV, iGPU undervolt -40mV, system agent undervolt -40mV.
    GPU core OC 106MHz, GPU mem OC 330MHz.
    Clevo center on performance mode

FAN CPU 53% till 85 degrees celcius, FAN GPU 53% till 75 degrees celcius. After this it is lineair to max fan speed at 100C for both.
    You can hear the fans but are easily drown out with the speakers.

1) Enabling speedshift 128, Max turbo 36x - CPU power around 20W
    Benchmark (fps): min 63 - avg 81 - max 104
    Gaming:
    CPU temp: avg 71 degrees - 2900 - 3000 MHz
    GPU temp: avg 75 degrees - 1800 - 1900 MHz --> power limit throttling

2) Disabling speedshift, Max turbo 36x - CPU power around 38W
    Benchmark (fps): min 71 - avg 91 - max 110
    Gaming:
    CPU temp: avg 78 degrees - 3600 MHz
    GPU temp: avg 81 degrees - 1700 - 1800 MHz --> power limit throttling

3) Disabling speedshift, standard turbo - CPU power around 43.5W
    Benchmark (fps): min 74 - avg 92 - max 109
    Gaming:
    CPU temp: avg 90 degrees - 3900 MHz
    GPU temp: avg 75 degrees - 1530 - 1650 MHz --> power limit throttling

MAX FAN speed to show cooling capabilities. Pretty load fans, headset needed.

4) Disabling speedshift, standard turbo - CPU power around 42.5W, Max FAN
    Benchmark (fps): min 70 - avg 92 - max 112
    Gaming:
    CPU temp: avg 79 degrees - 3900 MHz
    GPU temp: avg 71 degrees - 1530 - 1650 MHz --> power limit throttling

5) Disabling speedshift, standard turbo - CPU power around 40W, Max FAN, HD textures
    Benchmark (fps): min 62 - avg 86 - max 108
    Gaming:
    CPU temp: avg 75 degrees - 3900 MHz
    GPU temp: avg 70 degrees - 1530 - 1650 MHz --> power limit throttling

I think these are good results and performances. The keyboard gets hot when CPU is 80-90 degrees. A bit to hot to be comfortable.
    When loading CPU package draws up to 67.5W, without throttling.
    I even take the punishment in FPS to have a cooler and much quiter laptop. I know he is capable of handling more. But the gain is 10 fps avg, but it gets hotter and/or louder. I think CPU 71 and GPU 75 degrees are very cool, pun intended :p.
    Even with speedshift disabled and boost capped to 36x you don't loose performance but CPU is 10 degrees cooler while GPU is only 5 degrees warmer due to higher boost clock.

But I like the results, only the screen is heavily bend and suffers from backlight bleed in the upper right corner. I will ask for a repair?change of the screen and lid.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Arondel likes this.
  6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    so i have a 3000 mhz ram stick, and a 3200 mhz ram stick

they are branded gold key and gskill but they are both hynix ( hyundai) ram

they come up in xpuz as 3000 and 3200 ram etc. but the highest speed the go is 2500 i cant find a place to enable xmp in bios.

i have a warning for anyone

I tried to enable xmp in intel xtu and a reboot started

the machine would not post or reboot i had to disassemble it and unplug the cmos battery

and then it did work, and eventually i got a message that xtu settings could not be applied. I dont think most users are ready to do that so watch out. I suspect that xmp is totally disabled in this machine

this is bad because i paid extra for 3000 mhz ram in initial purchase and now 110 for 3200 mhz ram

double check with the 960 users

to even get to 2500 from 2400 i needed to alter the profile in the bios

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You can trick the motherboard by changing the memory configuration (if you have two different speed sticks run one or swap them around) to reset the memory settings.

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you mean while the machine is on? ok I am going to take pictures with my phone of the bios here.

I swear if I have to ill train myself to be a bios editor this is actually fairly simple ill be the next prema i i suspect clevo might update the bios to allow xmp?

9. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    Don’t change RAM while the laptop is on. That isn’t what @Meaker@Sager meant.

He means if it does not post, turn it off and remove a stick. It will post again.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Indeed the ram is not hot swappable. On startup it checks the ram is the same.