*** Official Clevo P970Ex Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is the temp of the keyboard while gaming? Is it hot to touch or not?
    I forgot to check before ordering.

1440p resolution needs more power. The biggest benefit of 240Hz is when you reach also 240fps.

I’m not a competition gamer, 144Hz will work like a charm for me I guess.
    I first wanted to switch because of 9th gen CPU, but it seems that with the same cooling you will have only a very minimal gain. I was able to purchase the P970EF very cheap, the bump on price would be to high for the improvement.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Theres some review if thev960 none of the surface of thr laptop gets hot at all

None of the laptop gets hot during gaming never 80c with standard undervolt of CPU. Zero none .

The only detectable heat is the left exhaust fan

3. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    Well, the reseller recorder these temps in firestrike, with 1 stick of memory and with .125V undervolt, stock GPU.

3DMark Firestrike:

* CPU: max 70-75 graden
    * GPU: max 65-70 graden

If I take CPU 75 degrees max and GPU 70 degrees max, you have to add 5-10 degrees in dual channel. Then CPU will be around 85 degrees ans GPU around 80, both are acceptable according me. The laptop is shippes with dual channel memory, but the kit wasn’t placed during benchmark.

Anyway, it is shipped out and expectes for delivery tomorrow. Is Ghost recon: Wildlands a good game to test? I believe it is the most taxing PC game I own.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    theres absolutely nothing true about dual channel raising cpu or gpu temeperature 1 degree. no amount of ram or speed or anything will raise temperatures at all

if the cpu does not reach 80c there is no thermal throttling ever. if it reaches 85 there is barely some.

the gpu never reaches thermal throttling in any of these laptops from any make at this point.

if theres no thermal throttling thats the end . some people want also at that point lower the fan speed for noise i dont worry about that line of thought

5. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Yes, dual channel will raise the temps but this depends on the game and on power limits. For example Dell allows their G7 to run with a very high power limit, so running in dual channel will give you this:
    [​IMG]

B.t.w if you want a good game for testing - try Forza Horizon 4, it has a nice benchmark and it is free for Xbox Game Pass subscribers (on PC), and currently there is a sale for Xbox Game Pass for like $1 for 3 month (the sale might depend on your location).

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    um i dont know if i need another benchmark i have a lot the only thing im ing for is the power throttling thing it happens in a weird situation without cpu use

but i will look into dual channel increasing heat because it doesnt this test notwithstanding if it can happen its something you could turn off too something to look up next week

7. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    Single channel is bottlenecking the CPU, which can bottleneck the GPU.
    So with dual channel the CPU can handle more data, use more power and same for GPU. So added heat.
    Also the mem controller is inside the CPU, again, a bit more heat.

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Even in this example which is probably a bad pasted malfunctioning Dell g7

Nothing to do with us

98c overheating cpu

The gpu is still 75c. Just to add some apples to apples comparison it goes from 74 to 75 because the hot air isn't blowing out fast enough from the cpu

That dell g7 is ready for a 2080 gtx max p and it has no cooling like a clevo its got cooling like a playstation We're not seeing any sort of gpu heat that needs max q software ever. I mean across the line of all makes but in clevos no way

Its a big part of why selling the thick laptops for any of these rtx chips needs some marketing bs and might actually be in its last few years ever

And my 3dmark gpu temperatures never reached 60c I'm about to do it again for you reference after new Windows install

The next line ups will be Dell G7s with 2080 gtx in sure

9. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    The CPU gains a lot of heat because the bottleneck of the CPU (RAM) is gone. As BF V is a CPU intensive game, the GPU doesn't gain heat, the 1 degree difference is probably caused by the shared heatpipe. The cooling design of the dell G series is not adequate, hell, the cooling design of the Alienware m series is not good enough. There is just to much termal throttling going on.
    The g-series will never recieve a full RTX version except for the RTX2060, Dell has Alienware brand for this.
    Nevertheless thermally a RTX2080 is not possible to the Dell G5, it will probably run, but hermal throttle all the time.

Intel told yesterday that they will start producing mobile CPU's on 10Nm this summer and expect the first laptops to be in shops end of this year. That will thermally be a big step in the good direction. The current CPU's are at there limits as you see in the minimal difference between 8750h and 9750h.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well the CPU is waiting less for data so you get less idle cycles.