*** Official Clevo P960EP6/ P960ED/ P960EF/ P960EN Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Sodalitas

Sodalitas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I should be receiving the laptop in the days before 23rd Feb, but there could always be delays. Will definitely be testing to see if the 180W brick can sustain through long hours of gaming without battery discharging.

Yeah I can ask them about the specific 2080 Max-Q.

[Update]: @IKAS V It's the 80W variant.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Nitesh27 and IKAS V like this.
  2. Sodalitas

Reputations:

Someone in Singapore did a mini review on the 2060 variant in case anyone's interested. The sound emissions test seems a bit strange to me, apparently it's at 52 dB at idle, 54-55 dB on load.

Nitesh27, AlexusR and ChebyshevKev like this.
  3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That’s not what I was hoping for, I figured CLEVO would at least use the 90W variant.
    Will still be interested in your preliminary review.

4. Sodalitas

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was a little disappointed to hear that it's the 80W variant. But anyway, I will do a little review when it does arrive.

Is there anything you guys would like me to check out specifically? I already plan to do a few things depending on how much time I have:

Benchmarks
    1) 3DMark Fire Strike/Time Spy
    2) Dragon Age Inquisition
    3) Civilization VI
    4) Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
    5) Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    6) Forza Horizon 4
    7) Final Fantasy XV
    8) Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Some of those are freely available benchmarks, a few of them are games that I already own and have an in-game benchmark tool. Then, I plan to do an undervolt on the CPU and a modest undervolt+overclock on the GPU and re-run those benchmarks.

In other news, slightly off-topic: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Not-c...er-than-the-Gigabyte-Aero-15-X9.406211.0.html

Notebookcheck just posted about the differences between RTX 2070 Max-Q in the Razer Blade 15 vs Gigabyte Aero 15 X9. I'm really curious if the Razer Blade 15s are using the 90W variants vs Aero 15's 80W. Just a guess at the moment though.

Nitesh27 and hmscott like this.
  5. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very cool I look forward to the results. Btw I also hear the asus zephyrus s is rocking the 90w rtx Max-q’s. The full 2070 scores on the Aorus 15 from Gigabytes unboxing video look too good I hope others will debunk it soon as that looks killer.

Nitesh27 likes this.
  6. Sodalitas

Reputations:
    Yeah that Aorus 15 with 2070 Max-P is looking really good, but I can't get away with that chassis design in the office. It's less gamery than before but still a touch too blingy. Spec wise the Aorus 15 seems very similar to the PB51 range, with the exception of thickness (25mm Aorus Vs 30mm PB51). The PB51 range chassis design is much more understated and suitable for the office, but it doesn't seem to be shipping yet. Seems like availability from March onwards. Don't know if Aorus 15 is already shipping.

As for the Zephyrus, same story with the gamery design, and also I absolutely cannot stand the keyboard placement. Tried a friend's model with GTX 10 series, and hoo boy I was irrationally put off by the keyboard. Also need a numpad for data crunching, so there are just too many factors pushing.me away from the Zephyrus. Jealous of the 90W RTX Max-Q though!

Nitesh27 likes this.
  7. ChebyshevKev

ChebyshevKev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The thermals actually look pretty impressive compared to the GS65 and the Aero that I have seen so far. I hope it undervolts well...
    Also I believe the 52dB was at 100% CPU load, while the 54-55 was while gaming (CPU + GPU under load).

I have gone ahead purchased this laptop as well from @GenTechPC (couldn't hold my patience, lol). Hopefully I will have it some time before next week. I went with the 2080MQ variety as well, but also with the Thermal Grizzly + FujiPoly treatment. I bought this primarily as I travel quite often and miss having a gaming laptop around. I don't really have many games to run out testing on but I will post my 3D Mark scores and maybe some BFV numbers if I can get a proper benchmark record.
    If anyone has any tips for proper benchmarking let me know.

Nitesh27 likes this.
  8. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've emailed GentechPC asking them to do a video of the Aorus 15 X9 and Ken kindly replied with they are going to do one.

TomoPrime likes this.
  9. Sodalitas

Reputations:
    Nice, hope your system arrives soon! I had ordered mine with Conductonaut LM, but the salesperson convinced me that Kryonaut would be more than sufficient with the cooling system, so hopefully I didn't make the wrong decision. I can always do a repaste in the future anyway.

Also one thing that stuck out to me with the GenTechPC listing was that it specifically states it's a TN panel. When I asked Aftershock, I was told it would be an AHVA panel. Will probably have to dig a little deeper when the build is ready.

Nitesh27 and ChebyshevKev like this.
  10. ChebyshevKev

ChebyshevKev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! I chose Kryonaut since it is non-conductive compared to the Conductonaut which can have issues with a laptop that is going to be traveling around often... The Aftershock model might have a different panel, but most likely it is the same. I believe someone in the forums sourced the panel back to a Chinese manufacturer and could be consider 'IPS like' but since IPS is proprietary to LG they can't market it as such (fact check: this is incorrect)... I honestly have never heard of AHVA until now.
    I am curious if the keyboard will be the 3-zone on the one I ordered or not... The Aftershock version and the EVO16-S from origin both advertise individual key lighting...

Nitesh27 likes this.